Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
We complain about AF. Imagine photographing this in the mid 1960's.
Or in the 1970's & 1980's when I was learning. The cars will (typically) follow the track. That makes it fairly easy to predict where they will be. You pre-focus and wait for the subject to come to the focus point. Easy. So far I have more brains than my camera. At least I think I do.

03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Or in the 1970's & 1980's when I was learning. The cars will (typically) follow the track. That makes it fairly easy to predict where they will be. You pre-focus and wait for the subject to come to the focus point. Easy. So far I have more brains than my camera. At least I think I do.

Very true Jim. That is a very good point. A dog or child running around could be much harder.
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would appreciate some advice/experience on taking pictures of birds in flight with the K-5:
Use center focus or AUTO with 11 points or AUTO with 5 points?
Use af.s or af.c
If af.s do you recommend focus priority or release priority?
If af.c do you recommend focus priority or fps priority?
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
We complain about AF. Imagine photographing this in the mid 1960's. Learning a camera is better than relying on technology alone.
and that's why today's action photos are much better.

03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
and that's why today's action photos are much better.
I haven't done a comparison...

So, I seem to have come to the conclusion, that if I want the fastest focusing AF for action with Pentax, I should be looking at the Sigma 70-200. Or did I miss something?
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TimonW Quote
Problem is, it seems like everyone's saying that Pentax's continuous AF is behind the times...the K5 ii reviews seem to show an improved single subject AF, but as I've seen with Sony and even Canon, continuous tracking AF is not a given even on flagship cameras. Even the Canon 5d mark iii has its issues. My Sony a99, for example, is super fast to focus on the first shot, then the tracking gets really skiddish and misses quite a bit if the subject is moving fast towards you. Canon is better, but still misses, and Nikon is stellar in this department. I'm thinking about a setup that includes the 31 1.8 and 50-135...my main worry are the processionals at a wedding and in a darker reception hall...AF is tested when the subject is moving towards you.

Any thoughts from the Pentax veterans? I would love to see samples/hear real life testimonials...

I went the other way after having given up using AF for fast shots. I rely more or less all on MF shot instead to get fast action

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57335-bif-images-a300mmf4.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/28170-impossible-a...cus-shots.html

I have not tried for prolonged period the new K5. Definitely my K20D is not too updated.

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I would appreciate some advice/experience on taking pictures of birds in flight with the K-5:
Use center focus or AUTO with 11 points or AUTO with 5 points?
Use af.s or af.c
If af.s do you recommend focus priority or release priority?
If af.c do you recommend focus priority or fps priority?
Follow the link. That should help. Stay away from SR though for bif

Daniel
03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
With subjects moving directly towards you, I don't know of any focus system that could nail that. I was surprised how well the K5 focused continually as apposed to my K10D. I'm sure the K5ii would be very comparable to the Canikons.

-This was my fav out of burst of about 8 frames, shot on the fly in continuous, all of which were in focus with the bikers going ~30-40 mph. (K5 w/ Sigma 18-50)
Just wish they brought back the physical SR switch, barely got these after digging through the menus.
Hot ride
Nice pan,

Cheers

Randy
03-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #113

Action coming toward with K-r and 50-200:

Full speed young mountain goat with K-r and 50-200:

Osprey cruising into nest with meal....taken with the older generation *istDL, hand held, at 300mm with Sigma APO 70-300:

Last edited by ccd333; 03-24-2013 at 06:23 PM.
03-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #114

I think Pentax does alright when you're anticipating a shot, like a car driving past at a particular point, or a batter on the plate, but since I like to shoot baseball, if I try to switch from the batter to the ball being hit into the infield, it's basically a lost cause.

Granted, I use a K20 and Tamron 70-200/2.8, neither of which are particularly quick, but from my experience, it's not great for quick movements, might as well switch to MF, burst mode, and take your chances.
03-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I think Pentax does alright when you're anticipating a shot, like a car driving past at a particular point, or a batter on the plate, but since I like to shoot baseball, if I try to switch from the batter to the ball being hit into the infield, it's basically a lost cause.

Granted, I use a K20 and Tamron 70-200/2.8, neither of which are particularly quick, but from my experience, it's not great for quick movements, might as well switch to MF, burst mode, and take your chances.
I think Pentax may have improved somewhat since the K20.

I have a K-r and a K-30. The K-r was sort of OK with moving subjects but had difficulty tracking subjects if they didn;t stay on the centre focus point. The K-30 has a new (relative to the K-r) tracking function that dynamically switches between the focus points to keep the subject in focus even when the subject is no longer in the centre (or whichever focus point you started from) and it seems to work pretty well. It also seems to do predictive focusing quite well for objects moving towards or away from you.

I'm not actually sure whether it is doing predictive focusing or just because of the focus reacting very quickly and there being a very short shutter lag (so the focus wouldn't need to change significantly between the last focus adjustment and when the photo is shot). I did notice that lenses with built in motor work much better in this respect, perhaps simply because they are much quicker.
03-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #116
Veteran Member

My buddy Tux coming toward me with my K200D 18-55mm kit lens.

04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #117

Great photos everyone who shared. I don't have a horse in this race in so far as taking photos that require fast AF. However, I would direct everyone following this thread to a recent post by Mark Dimalanta who is a sports photographer who shoots Pentax:

Chasing Light...: Shooting sports, low-light, and mixed WB with a Pentax K5IIs

He has shot extensively with Canon and Nikon as well. I think you will find that his reports on shooting a variety of sports with the K-5IIs addresses many of the questions raised in this thread, rebuts many of the doubts about Pentax AF and corroborates others.

There is also this recent thread he started on DPR:

Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

His blog post seems like a pretty definitive answer as to the state of Pentax's AF and how it measures up to that of Canon and Nikon when it comes to shooting moving objects/sports, which is that it measures up quite, well all things considered.
04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Now I know these aren't the greatest images ever, but they show what can be done with a K-5. These are with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8, which is supposedly slow to focus, in fairly dark conditions, and the cars are moving at roughly 120-130mph. I found the combination absolutely fantastic and was able to take images in situations I never would have dreamed of before. I was a little worried when I made my purchases but, frankly, I'm not sure what everyone is on about...

04-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sideways tracking doesn't mean a whole lot in my book.

I was out today and did some shots using single point mode and then some using top left AF point. My crrent impression is, that single point was by far most accurate.

I shot @ 200mm f2.8.

A "fun" thing about sharpness is that it's perceived differently depending on the subject. I had plenty of almost tack sharp shot using single point mode, but I now know from experience, that when it comes to people photography, that last bit of accuracy can mean a lot.

I have no frame of reference so can't say how I think my camera performs in relation to other models and brands.
04-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Sideways tracking doesn't mean a whole lot in my book.
It depends on how fast the subject is moving and what your subject is. "Sideways tracking" is most important in my book.