Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D going in for BF issues

Had a chat with Pentax Canada today. I often felt my K10D BF'd especially in close ups and wide open. Several unscientific, tests, using papers and static objects in doors, over the last few days suggest that.

I asked if it was something they could check and fix if necessary.

Her answer was yes, and that they have had to adjust quite a few K10D's for this.

Maximum two week turn around, so thats pretty good.

Driving it out Thursday morning, after rush hour, when ever that is anymore.

Dave

02-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dave,

Have you been game to try out the Service menu adjustment of focusing as mentioned recently?
I'm wondering if there are many others out there with K10Ds with the same problem... does it happen with one particular lens more, or with all lenses? Then once its fixed, is it fixed once and for all?

I'm interested to hear others' takes on this one...
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

I've tried the service menu adjustment as I didn't want to go through the trouble of sending and being without my K10D for a while. I've been happy with the results. For me the BF/FF was consistent across my 2 lenses (DA 16-45 F4, FA 50mm F1.4). The BF/FF was really obvious with my FA 50mm as the razor thin depth of focus at F1.4 exposes focusing problems.

I guess my lenses were within spec so adjusting the BF/FF on the K10D fixed the problem for both of my lenses.

And after adjusting the BF/FF, I updated my firmware to the latest version and was pleased to see that the BF/FF adjustments were kept.

Pentax really needs to release an updated firmware for the K10D that exposes the BF/FF adjustment again and remembers settings for individual lenses just like the K20D.
02-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Had a chat with Pentax Canada today. I often felt my K10D BF'd especially in close ups and wide open. Several unscientific, tests, using papers and static objects in doors, over the last few days suggest that.

I asked if it was something they could check and fix if necessary.

Her answer was yes, and that they have had to adjust quite a few K10D's for this.

Maximum two week turn around, so thats pretty good.

Driving it out Thursday morning, after rush hour, when ever that is anymore.

Dave
I sent in one of my K10D bodies and my 21mm DA Lens. Two issues: substantial backfocus problems on the 21mm DA (ditto when it's on my other K10D body) and the infamous chip on the body baseplate. That's what I get for buying a plastic camera. Been there a week. I'll wait until next week to get a status report.

Just for the record, I have the 70mm DA lens on the other body. Autofocus is spot-on accurate. No sign of a crack or chip on the baseplate YET.

Richard

02-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The DA 50 f2.8, the FA 100 Macro and to some extent the 16-45 are the ones i tested. I have noticed no problem with the 77.

Flags should have been raised when i was getting less than stellar performance on my FA 100 than with my D200 and Tamron 90 Macro.

Or maybe i just did not want to believed there was a problem.

I told them what lenses cause the concerns and they will test with a variety, or so i'm told

Dave
03-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Almost home

Pentax sent my K10D back last week while i was away in Fargo. I asked them not to, that i would pick it up.

Amy way, no one was home and i have had it resent from the Purolator depot. Hope to have it back Tuesday and test. Pentax Canada assures me their service techs are good and i should be happy, although if not i am to return asap for inspection.

Dave
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I service menu'd mine, and it works fine!
A rhyme
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #8

tests?

What sort of tests would you recommend to figure out focus issues? I've occasionally been less than pleased with focus of some of my pictures, but I more or less attributed it to my shortcomings as a photographer rather than the equipment. Reading a few of these threads has piqued my interest however...

Thanks
-Dan