Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slipchuck's file went missing. It's been reposted now. Thanks.

Last edited by Alvin; 01-08-2007 at 10:48 PM.
01-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks to Ken for the challenge and Alvin for collecting, resizing and posting the images.

I found it interesting to see what others did and fun to play with this image myself. I'm trying to learn how to use Adobe Lightroom to post-process images (whether Raw or JPEG). I hope I'm not violating some sort of rules - I assume this is an experiment for its own sake, not a contest - so I went ahead and did two more versions, which are a bit different from the one I submitted to Alvin. My other "takes" can be found here:

Picasa Web Albums - WMB - 20070107 tomb...

I've also provided a wee bit more info about what I did and why. Of the three I did, I like the last (third) one the best, although it and the second one involve a certain amount of "falsification" in that I righted the tombstone. :-)

Will
01-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Will,

From my understanding this is not a contest, but a learning experience.

I'm actually curious and I think I will start off the discussion. Both you and Randy appear to come up with a similar result - make the grass look a lot more natural. Both Ken and Jonas were also similar with each other - going with a crop to remove what I think they believe was a distraction (the grass), and Julie cropped and went for a B&W.

I know you'll all find this hard to believe, but I like all of these results equally. Each one I find intriguing in their own right and has got me asking a lot of questions to myself.

To all participants:

1. When you got your results, was it your very first instinct to do this, or were you thinking to do something different and then changed your mind?
2. Given more time, what would you have done. I know Will has posted more already.
3. What would you do if you thought "outside the box"? ie. Use the subject but give it some totally weird effect, or something like cropping out the tombstone and placing it in a different background.

Last edited by Alvin; 01-09-2007 at 12:06 AM.
01-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin:
Will,
From my understanding this is not a contest, but a learning experience.
Indeed so, and something for inspiration seeing in what ways other minds interpreted the subject, or rather, tried to something interesting out of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin:
To all participants:

1. When you got your results, was it your very first instinct to do this, or were you thinking to do something different and then changed your mind?
2. Given more time, what would you have done. I know Will has posted more already.
3. What would you do if you thought "outside the box"? ie. Use the subject but give it some totally weird effect, or something like cropping out the tombstone and placing it in a different background.
1: I'm single-minded and this was my only thought. The picture itself was pretty limiting having only one subject in focus. In fact, there was one thing only to look at at all. So, it was about the tombstone, or blurry grass... So, what was interesting with the tombstone? Well, I found apart of it I liked, that made my imagination work.

2: More contrast, tweaking of the grain, cropped a bit more maybe depending on my mood.

3: I was thinking of a "blue-copy" interpretion of the tombstone for a moment. Then I decided to go for something with not much of extra-vaganza. Moving things around and add stuff and such is nothing I use to do. I'm an inside the box person I guess.

X: Who provides the next raw, and when?

I was a little dissapointed with the picture when I opened it. Not that it was anything wrong with it, but I have to imagine I expected a more complex picture with possibilities to crop and change things in several ways. As you understand I suggest we do this for some time here, with a series of different pictures with different sorts of problems/possibilities.

Thank you to Will for your other examples, and PP descriptions and thoughts about the picture!

regards,

01-09-2007, 05:15 AM   #35
Veteran Member

A great idea!

This is just a fantastic idea. I would love to see this continue on a regular bases. 5 to 10 people taking a shot at interpreting an image is a wonderful learning tool. Hope this continues.

The explanations as to why you did it the way you did are as important as the renditions themselves. There are no winners or losers, just different ideas. Please continue with this and I might even get up enough courage to try one.

Thank You one and all.

Regards,
01-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
This is pretty much my first instinct. I did the crop during the conversion, took it into PS, stared at it for a moment, and it said "black and white". It more or less was B&W to begin with, and the grass wasn't very interesting, so I figured that would de-emphasize the grass.

QuoteQuote:
2. Given more time, what would you have done.
A better conversion, or tweaked levels/curves. It seems to be lacking something. Maybe make it granier, or more contrasty. Or both.

QuoteQuote:
I'm not a big fan of wildly altering images. In terms of effects, I'd do something like giving it a strong colour cast, or grain or something, but I find major alterations a little off-putting.

This was fun, let's do it again!

Julie
01-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #37

Original Poster
Thanks To All

First I would like to thank everyone for participating..I am new to digital photography and didn’t get beyond beginner status with film, mainly due to never having the money, time & space at the same time to set up a darkroom. With digital I feel I have enough of the three to do a decent job.
When I got home & viewed the cemetery pics, the one I chose for this exercise attracted my attention . It just seemed to me that there was a good picture hiding in there somewhere & I may or may not find it.

I knew some or all would be disappointed with the simplicity of the pic, but felt it would allow us to practice some raw processing skills & artistic interpretation & still end up with the same basic object to compare.

I ended up with 2 versions. I submitted the one I felt would be most unlike the others . My other version can be viewed here Flickr Photo Download: 000093ps

One thing I like about raw is that I can stow the dngs away & as my skills, techniques & software improves or my mood changes, I can have another go at it maybe with completely different results..

Id like to do more of these with some better images.. Thanks again for taking part ..wildherre
01-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildherre Quote
First I would like to thank everyone for participating.

Thanks for the idea and the challenge, Ken.

Will

01-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

So I'm thinking, should we post another RAW interpretation up in the Games and Challenges section of the Forums? Who would like to put a file up for the next one? This time, we'll give it a couple days to take into account the time zone differences. I'll gladly host the results from of website
01-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I'm thinking, should we post another RAW interpretation up in the Games and Challenges section of the Forums? Who would like to put a file up for the next one? This time, we'll give it a couple days to take into account the time zone differences. I'll gladly host the results from of website

I second this. Even though I had to rush through this one, I really enjoyed it.

I would like to see 2 parts to the challenge....
first one exactly like this one...

second one people have to get the colors and exposure as close to the origanal as possible (of course it would have to be .dng)
the submitter would alter the photo's saturation, exposure, etc to hide the origanal.

cheers
01-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #41
Veteran Member

You beat me to suggesting it. I'd like a little extra time, too - I did my version in about 30 minutes, including a couple tries at resizing to under 300kb!

That's really generous of you to host, but wouldn't it make more sense for whoever sets the challenge to play host?

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I would like to see 2 parts to the challenge....
[snip]
second one people have to get the colors and exposure as close to the origanal as possible
I don't know about this idea - what would be the point? Demonstrating your psychic abilities and monitor calibration? What interested me in this round was each person's approach to the same subject. I think we can learn more from how others see the same scene than all trying to reproduce how one person saw it. Which is impossible anyway.

Whatever the case, I think something like this should be a (semi?) regular challenge. Who wants to provide the next raw file?

Julie
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

So I'm thinking, should we post another RAW interpretation up in the Games and Challenges section of the Forums?

Well, this was interesting and fun, and let me say again that I'm grateful to Ken for the idea and Alvin for acting as moderator.

But I'm not sure whether there's a big point to doing this as a group again. Unless we push the "contestants" to be really creative - and I'm personally not too interested in that - then the results are likely to be pretty similar.

What I would like to see from time to time is how someone here who's good at post-processing fixed an image that had problems. For example, click here to see a gallery containing 1 original and 1 post-processed version of a few photos I took a week ago. I'm just learning Lightroom and I don't think my post-processed results are very good; surely an expert could do a much better job. What I'm personally interested in, is learning how others deal with problem shots like some of those in that gallery. The city skyline shots, in particular, were tough to shoot. Perhaps I could get the best result using HDR or at least an HDR-like approach (combining different exposures into layers in Photoshop) but I really don't want to even start down that path right now. Anyway, you can see there the result I fumbled my way to. I would love to see what others can do - with the original and the result. As I said, I'm not interested in really creative stuff, and I'm not interested in really easy stuff, either (slight sharpening, etc.). I'm interested in learning how better to make tonal corrections to shots with difficult exposure problems.

But that's just my opinion. If everybody else wants to do another group thing, that's cool - I'll be eager to see what the others come up with.

Will
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I'm just learning Lightroom and I don't think my post-processed results are very good; surely an expert could do a much better job. What I'm personally interested in, is learning how others deal with problem shots like some of those in that gallery. Will
Looked over your gallery. Some shots are PP to acceptable degree, such as the ones of the young lady. Shots of the city/water could be handled differently without having to do HDR.

Probably be a good idea to clean your camera sensor. The repeating worm in the middle top left is distracting.

Need to straighten any waterline or anything that is visually level.

If you have Photoshop I can coach you on a few things. I am self taught and always learning so may be some help. I haven't done anything with Lightroom.

If interested PM me and I will send my home e-mail address, then you can send me a shot and we can go over it together.
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Looked over your gallery. Some shots are PP to acceptable degree, such as the ones of the young lady.
Hey, that's no lady, that's my daughter! (rimshot)

I think I did very little to those pictures.

QuoteQuote:
Shots of the city/water could be handled differently without having to do HDR.
Those really were the tough ones. My basic feeling right now is that I need to expose the shots better in the first place. Not the kind of thing that can easily be done with one right exposure - but I've now read the advice to "expose to the right" and it makes very good sense. I tend to do just the opposite and I'm discovering why it's a problem.

QuoteQuote:
Probably be a good idea to clean your camera sensor. The repeating worm in the middle top left is distracting.
Wow, I had not even noticed that. Good catch and thanks for mentioning it.

QuoteQuote:
Need to straighten any waterline or anything that is visually level.
I hadn't noticed that, either - although it leaps out at me now. I know how to fix that and have done it before. I think that I may just have been focused on color quality in Lightroom and not paying much attention to the plain content of the photos. That's my problem in a nutshell. When I focus on one thing, I forget all the others. Takes some practice before it all becomes second nature.

Excellent observations, Clarence. Thank you very much. These are exactly the kinds of tips I crave. For what it's worth (and to try to return the thread to its rightful topic), I would love to see comments like this about other people's photos, too.

Will

Last edited by WMBP; 01-10-2007 at 02:19 PM.
01-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, I caught myself doing tech support. So I see two different ideas coming from this.

1. A "Fix this picture" thread. I guess it would be like open critique of a picture, with a posting of results and what was done to get that result.

2. Artistic Interpretation thread. Much like what was done here.

WMBP - To answer your question as to who would be host. I would like to do it just to get the ball rolling and then pass the reins on when the time is right. I think Wildherre started something good here and it's just a habit of mine to see something I was involved with grow (for lack of a better explanation - It's 3:30 am here - gotta hit the sack!).