Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Generic from China or Hong Kong via eVilBay. Two weeks and the goods are here. Never had a hassle, never had a problem.

As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30. After all, one sees prices written every day so the format isn't uncommon.
In Québec where I live it is standard for the dollar sign to appear after the amount. It is how I was taught in school.

Look at this Ikea page in French for Quebec customers:
Accessoires de table enfants - IKEA

01-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I lost my first lens cap ever... thinking I'd be paying about 5$ for a replacement, I go to my favorite online store and see this:

Pentax Lens Cap for 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens 31524 B&H

30$ dollars for a round piece of metal????????
Actually this sounds like a very fair price. You need to consider that this lens cap is milled out a a single piece of aluminium, the logo is milled inton the front, painted, lined, packed, warehoused, shipped, warehoured shipped to suppliers, warehoused, and finally purchased.

The plastic caps can be produced more quickly and cheaply than a quality metal lens cap.

If you are worried about using it, replace it with a cheap plastic one.

Regards

Chris
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After the pinch type cap came off a lens in my bag a couple times (lucky no scratches) I replace them with the old screw on metal jobs ($8 adorama) The ultimate protection.
01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter

As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30.
30$ is the phonetic way to spell $30.

01-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Or the actual right way depending where you live as I explained above
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog104 Quote
Somewhat off topic but anyone ever tried Meritline for cheap photo accessories? They have lens caps, end caps, body caps, all pretty cheap. It is shipped from Hong Kong but they offer free world wide shipping on most items when you order more than $10. It takes a couple of weeks but it easier than deal with than ebay. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't where some sellers on ebay get their products.

Pentax Compatible Rear Lens Cover and Camera Body Cap for Digital SLR Cameras
A couple weeks? Try months. Yes, that's the standard with them. Don't believe what they state about delivery estimates.
01-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #22

Guess I'll buy a few metals caps and try to flip them here considering all those who say it's a reasonable price.

On second thought ...
01-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
So apparently we disorganized photographers are subsiding a generous portion of Pentax's profits by buying lens caps with 2000% profit margins each time we lose one.

Awesome marketing strategy!
You're not subsidizing anything. It's not Pentax's fault if you lose a lens cap, and no one is forcing you to replace the lens cap you lost with a Pentax branded cap. Just buy a generic cap and be done with it.

01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Who pee'd in your soup?
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by arcturus Quote
A couple weeks? Try months. Yes, that's the standard with them. Don't believe what they state about delivery estimates.
It has never taken that long for an order from them to be delivered, believe me I wouldn't used again if it had.
01-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30. After all, one sees prices written every day so the format isn't uncommon.
30$ is standard phrasing for francophones. The OP is from Montreal, Quebec.

I'll give another vote for fleabay.
01-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Any of Pentax's special metal lens caps get put away when I buy a lens and I get a plastic lens cap to use every day. That way if I ever sell the lens, I will still have it. I always found squeeze caps easier to deal with them some of their odd screw on or press on metal caps anyway.
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter

As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30.
That format is standard for many non-dollar currencies. Take a look at where the poster is from. I'm sure the rest of the world things we Americans are looney when we put the month in front of the day when writing a date, as I know most of the world puts the day in front of the month. It's the same sort of difference.
01-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

On ebay you can pick front/end caps for less than a dollar with free shipping ... you wait for it a little, but honestlly ... less than a dollar.
Beat that price without using paper cups as caps ...

End caps are even saying Pentax on them ...
01-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Getting back to the part and Pentax's asking price.... I have seen a few parts that I SWEAR are identical to the Pentax item, only without the Pentax logo. Case in point, the AA battery adapter for the K-r. I have purchased several non-Pentax units and they are identical right down to the screws and shape of the battery connection points to the Pentax units ... only they cost 1/10 as much. My suspicion is Pentax asks a manufacturer to make a certain number of Pentax branded units under contract, and when those units are shipped to Pentax, the manufacturer makes a bunch more only without the Pentax logo. The manufacturer then sells those to various wholesale vendors who sell them for a fraction of the Pentax branded part.