Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
In Québec where I live it is standard for the dollar sign to appear after the amount. It is how I was taught in school.

Look at this Ikea page in French for Quebec customers:
Accessoires de table enfants - IKEA
Aha! I didn't know that. It reminds me of the unofficial meaning of the old French TV system - SECAM - Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method.

And the rest of (English-speaking) Canada? I assume the same as the British method from which we and the US followed - currency symbol first.

Last edited by p38arover; 01-17-2013 at 03:15 PM.
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I lost my DA 40 Ltd cap in the SE Utah desert. I think I left it on the bumper of my friend's truck. D'oh!
So I got some plastic replacements; I got a few because they are cheap and easy to lose. They are actually much easier to handle IMO. I don't like having to unscrew a lens cap if something interesting is unfolding in front of me. So I bought some cheap pinch caps for my DA 15 too so I won't lose that one too. I've already lost one of the plastic ones so that seems to be working out well. I'll just keep the DA 15 metal screw cap at home where it's safe!
01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
And the rest of (English-speaking) Canada? I assume the same as the British method from which we and the US followed - currency symbol first.
I believe the rest of Canada puts the $ sign before the amount like the rest of the continent

It always made more sense to put it after to me. We say 36 dollars... so writing 36$ just makes sense... we don't say dollars 36 (aka $36).

Imho it's one of the few things I think we do better here hahaha
01-21-2013, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #34

Get 5 x Lens Cap Keepers for $2.17 from Amazon and never lose or drop your lens caps from now on :-)

01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
30$ for a lens cap?
Aye, but it does have free shipping.
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I just lost another plastic one in deep snow last weekend. Good thing I have a spare ready to go!
01-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
The original cap stays at home and the generic travels ... if lost, no big deal - J
That is basically what I do.

Honestly, running a lathe to make aluminum parts is not cheap...machine shop operators are not cheap either. I'm not trying to justify the price, just saying that in the world of manufacturing, prices add up quickly. I do a lot of work in machine vision, and unfortunately, that's reality.
01-23-2013, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

About the $30 (or 30$) lens cap....

My first "real" job out of college was a custom chip designer. I worked with a manufacturer. At the time, the prototype lead time (the time when the customer released the design for manufacturing until they received 10 prototype chips back) was 3 weeks. Many customers wanted to "expedite" this. The cost of "expedite" was $10,000 a day (note that new EE grad was making around $35K/year). From what I knew, the procedure at the factory was pretty simple: someone just had to bring the design up in the queue.

When I asked the manufacturer as why a simple job cost so much, they told me, "Because we don't want to do it."

Look, Pentax is not in the business of selling lens caps. Pentax wants to sell cameras, lenses, and flashes. If Pentax wanted to sell lens caps, they'd have to set up different manufacturing flows, different distribution procedures, different warehouse practices, ... Do you know how long a lens cap sits on the warehouse shelf before someone buys it? Look at the automotive manufacturers, they have a network of dealerships to deal with selling parts, but have you compared the price of a Honda cd player at a Honda dealer vs that of a Pioneer cd player at Wal-Mart?

Why does it cost $30 for a Pentax lens cap? Because Pentax doesn't want to sell it.

01-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
Inactive Account

I suppose the same could be said $600. + for a Lens that is Glass, Metal & Rubber.
$30 does come to 5% of the value of the Lens, which makes sense especially when Limited is mentioned.
Perhaps the best bet would be to purchase a knock off $2.00 Lens Cap for everyday use.
Purchase the original Pentax $30. Cap in order to retain the maximum value of the Lens although store it somewhere safe until
you are ready to sell the Lens sometime in the future.

Last edited by PentaxK-m; 01-26-2013 at 09:50 AM.
01-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #40

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I know it's not the best practice, but the lens cap always goes into my front left pocket...
Heh, I do the same, haven't lost one that way yet!

Went to a local photo shop awhile ago, and he had a bunch of lens caps, said I could take my pick, found some Pentax-branded ones, only ended up with one generic, otherwise they all say "Pentax"

B
05-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #41

Snap on cap size

I have a 35mm macro limited, acquired it used. The original pus-on cap had been replaced with a 49mm UV filter and and a 49mm snap on Pentax cap. The cap is too small to fit if the filter is removed - and I want it gone. Does anyone know what size of a snap on cap will work here. I have no problem with eBay cheap Hong Kong or China caps. I replaced the fine (but silly) little screw in cap on my 40mm limited with a cheap Hong Kong version - even got extras and received within a week.
05-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Not 100% sure about the 35 because I don't have one but I have had the same issue with my DA 15.
I tend to lose caps over time and like to have some spares and keep the expensive one at home.
I just got a few of these:

and they just fit inside the pull-out shade when it's retracted. I had to break off a little plastic loop for a cap leash but it pops off easily.
05-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
Site Supporter

You want what is called a 'center pinch' lens cap. It does not have any ears like the cap shown in @Mattb123's post.

The good news is generic versions cost little more than the externally pinched lens cap.Center-pinch caps are no wider at any point than the filter-ring and work well with most lens hoods.
05-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Yeah, I actually have a center pinch cap that won't fit my DA 15 so I guess they don't have the same fit challenges across 49mm thread built-in hood Limiteds.
05-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I have seen a few parts that I SWEAR are identical...
This is a common practice, and why so many cheap items look the same. And batteries.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-09-2014 at 02:11 PM.