Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
In Québec where I live it is standard for the dollar sign to appear after the amount. It is how I was taught in school.

Look at this Ikea page in French for Quebec customers:
Accessoires de table enfants - IKEA
In 1969 I lost a Pentax 55 mm metal lens cap....in a cattle corral. I remember it well, as a steer was coming at me fast, as I leapt over the top of the corral. I had been in there taking a photograph of some cattle and all I had was a 50 mm lens. The metal lens cap was lying there down on the ground in the mud and hay.

I left it there, figuring discretion was the better part of valour. It cost me about $ 2 CAD back then to replace. That wasn't cheap back then.

What did I learn back then ?

That a 135 or 200 mm lens would of been a better tool for that type of photography, as I could of taken the same pictures outside the corral, Much safer. .

Also I just learned another thing.

Today.

The $ 30 CAD, a new Pentax lens cap would of cost the OP in 2014....is about right, I guess, considering inflation.

05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
Considering the materials and process to make it $30 is not unreasonable. I suspect one day I will need to buy one too.
05-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Generic from China or Hong Kong via eVilBay. Two weeks and the goods are here. Never had a hassle, never had a problem.

As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30. After all, one sees prices written every day so the format isn't uncommon.
In Europe we put the currency sign after the amount. We also put the day before the month. In Finland, we put the street number after the street name. At first, coming from the US, this seemed strange. But it actually makes perfectly logical sense... when you are looking for an address, what do you need first? That's right, street name. After you find the street then you need the number! Since we read left to right (in most languages) this actually makes more sense than having the number first.
05-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
In Europe we put the currency sign after the amount. We also put the day before the month. In Finland, we put the street number after the street name. At first, coming from the US, this seemed strange. But it actually makes perfectly logical sense... when you are looking for an address, what do you need first? That's right, street name. After you find the street then you need the number! Since we read left to right (in most languages) this actually makes more sense than having the number first.
Taking this a step further. The Latin derived romantic languages put the adjective after the noun (for example, "wagon red") - probably for much the same reasons as described above. The noun is the more important part. English follows the Germanic languages and plops the adjectives ahead of the noun with "red wagon".

Personally, I think one of the best things a young adult could do is spend time outside his or her home country with friendly people who don't speak the traveler's native language. You'll never again take your own culture for granted, or even assume everyone should adopt your culture.