Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
30$ for a lens cap?

I lost my first lens cap ever... thinking I'd be paying about 5$ for a replacement, I go to my favorite online store and see this:

Pentax Lens Cap for 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens 31524 B&H

30$ dollars for a round piece of metal????????

01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I lost my first lens cap ever... thinking I'd be paying about 5$ for a replacement, I go to my favorite online store and see this:

Pentax Lens Cap for 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited Lens 31524 B&H

30$ dollars for a round piece of metal????????
Yup. Or $1 for a generic plastic cap

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yup, its pretty crazy what brands charge for their lens caps and lens hoods. Generics are the way to go, if you can find a suitable one. Often on ebay, if you can wait for its arrival from China
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So apparently we disorganized photographers are subsiding a generous portion of Pentax's profits by buying lens caps with 2000% profit margins each time we lose one.

Awesome marketing strategy!

01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
So apparently we disorganized photographers are subsiding a generous portion of Pentax's profits by buying lens caps with 2000% profit margins each time we lose one.

Awesome marketing strategy!
To be fair, the practice is industry-wide. Try buying a new lens cap for a Canon 85/1.2......
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know it's not the best practice, but the lens cap always goes into my front left pocket...
01-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
I know it's not the best practice, but the lens cap always goes into my front left pocket...
Probably worse, mine goes in my back pocket. Surprisingly I haven't broke one yet.

01-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hadn't lost one in six years, so it was bound to happen at some point.

I think it might have been might cat. The little devil can open my bags and pharmacy doors at will...
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #9

$30 too high
01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
To be fair, the practice is industry-wide. Try buying a new lens cap for a Canon 85/1.2......
You sure that's a valid point? Canon Direct Store- Lens Cap E-72U

I was actually intrigued to google this.

EDIT I know it says 'out of stock' which probably means real-world prices are higher, but at least the price is achievable.
01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
The original cap stays at home and the generic travels ... if lost, no big deal - J
01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You sure that's a valid point? Canon Direct Store- Lens Cap E-72U

I was actually intrigued to google this.

EDIT I know it says 'out of stock' which probably means real-world prices are higher, but at least the price is achievable.
Sorry, I meant specialty caps for any maker. The one in the OP's post is a metal fitted lens cap, not a generic (even if marked Canon) squeeze cap.

And in the interest of fairness, Pentax does offer some standard squeeze caps for around the same price as the one you picked.
http://www.adorama.com/IPXLCQ1.html
01-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #13

Somewhat off topic but anyone ever tried Meritline for cheap photo accessories? They have lens caps, end caps, body caps, all pretty cheap. It is shipped from Hong Kong but they offer free world wide shipping on most items when you order more than $10. It takes a couple of weeks but it easier than deal with than ebay. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't where some sellers on ebay get their products.

Pentax Compatible Rear Lens Cover and Camera Body Cap for Digital SLR Cameras
01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Forum Member

I think that $30 is reasonable.
01-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Generic from China or Hong Kong via eVilBay. Two weeks and the goods are here. Never had a hassle, never had a problem.

As an aside, I've always wondered why people write a price with the currency symbol after the figure, e.g., 30$ instead of $30. After all, one sees prices written every day so the format isn't uncommon.