Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the computer minded...

Hey all - first post, long time reader.... Anywho - has anyone looked at the firmware differences between the *ist DS2 and the K110d? I did the other day and notice something striking - there's very little that's different. A large part that showed up as being different was actually just a few code blocks shifted a few bytes one way or another. The reason I ask is this whole "soft" jpeg issue or non-issue depending on what side of the fence you stand on with the K10d. I own a K110d and broke down a month ago and got a K10d at a great deal and I stand on the side of the fence that says it's soft. I compare this to the K110d output. A few days ago, I discovered a great page called K10d Firmware Fun and noticed that Rule34 mapped a good portion of the memory which would make tracking down the jpeg settings easier. Folks, I don't think it's a hardware issue - I think it's the settings in the firmware sent to the encoder. I'm thinking that once the portions containing the culpret code are found, the solutions could be found in the K110d. Does anyone follow me? Has anyone tackled this? Would anyone be willing to help that mountain of code?

-Brian

02-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To get rid of the "soft" jpeg issue, just change to bright mode in the menu, problem solved...
02-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
To get rid of the "soft" jpeg issue, just change to bright mode in the menu, problem solved...
I agree, forget digging into the code, if you want to see what the conversion settings can do, there have been a ton of threads that show graphically the differfences.

Take your camera(s) out and run a series of test shots, probably using a model and artificial light (to make them consistent)

take shots at max, nominal and min) for each setting to see how it works, in both bright and normal mode,

Once you know how to set your JPEGS go out and take pictures. Why spend months looking through code, as opposed to learning how the camera works first hand.
02-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have read and personally tried all the settings and can't come up with something as pleasing as the natural, sat 0, cont 0, sharp 0 settings on the K110d. I don't want to start another "soft" debate, that wasn't my intentions. I think the K10d can and should be as much as a contender to the d200, d80 and 40d. I have a lot invested in Pentax and want to dive in the code to change it to my likings, ie jpeg settings and AF Calibration a standard fixture in the menu. I was just making a call out to the others that understand writing/disecting code that may want to help. That's all...

Brian