Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

External Flash

Just received my new K10D...Will my Sunpak autozoom 333 function OK??
Lew

02-22-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Judging from the trigger voltage table it won't hurt to try it your self. You won't have the PTTL mode thou...
Sometimes all you have to do is ask uncle Google.
02-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #3

I had the same question (same flash), and it wasn't an easy answer to find! Don't even bother asking Pentax because they will not give a maximum trigger voltage that is safe for their cameras, nor will they even acknowledge flashes other than Pentax brand. I tested the trigger voltage on mine, and the highest value I got was 6.5V, which should be plenty low enough. I have had some very nice results using this flash with the K10D.

Check out this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/20470-opinion-expe...p-flash-2.html

Last edited by Shotgun; 02-22-2008 at 08:03 AM.
02-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Trigger Voltage

QuoteOriginally posted by Shotgun Quote
... Don't even bother asking Pentax because they will not give a maximum trigger voltage that is safe for their cameras, nor will they even acknowledge flashes other than Pentax brand. ...
Shortly after I got my K10D, in September, I sent an email to Pentax, asking about the maximum safe trigger voltage. They did reply and tell me that the max was about 25 volts. Most flashes being sold today are under 10 volts, so they should be safe.

The problem is, if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a P-TTL flash, you need an old-fashioned auto-flash. Very few of those seem to be made today, except low end, low power flashes. That's why Vivitar put the old 285HV back into production.

I recently read somewhere that the PC socket in the K20D has builtin circuitry to protect the camera agains high voltages from studio flashes. It seemed to imply, since it specifically mentioned this in the context of the PC socket, that such protection was not built into the hotshoe.

02-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Shortly after I got my K10D, in September, I sent an email to Pentax, asking about the maximum safe trigger voltage. They did reply and tell me that the max was about 25 volts. Most flashes being sold today are under 10 volts, so they should be safe.
You got farther with Pentax than I did, I guess. Here's what they told me:
"Maximum trigger voltage is a specification that Japan has never released. Pentax flashes, even the older ones, do not pose any risk for use on our cameras. Since we cannot guarantee non-Pentax made flashes will be compatible or safe to use on the cameras we always recommend you use a wein safe sync with them to protect the camera."
02-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

That's what they told me, too. I did get a safe-sync, and I think it's a good thing to have. The most accurate flash I have is a Metz 45CT-5, a wonderful piece of gear. I'm pretty sure you can still buy a Sunpak 444D, which is pretty powerful, brand new from B&H or Adorama, for about a hundred bucks. Nice flash, too. I have a Sunpak 333 and I'm sure it would work fine on the K10D. I'd use the safe-sync just to make it safe, though. If you fry your camera with an off-brand flash, Pentax will not honor the warranty.