Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

M42 Preset lenses on a DSLR

Hello,
I am a complete novice in the use of a DSLR.and if you can bear with me I am looking for some guidance.
I have a set of three good preset M42 lenses and as my consumption of film is now very sparse,it occurs to me that if I bought a fairly simple Pentax DSLR,probably second hand to get me going,these lense could be of great use once more.

I am aware that suitable adaptors are available,but I have heard that whilst manual functions are available on some DSLR models to enable the use of my lenses,there could be difficulties in obtaining correct exposure.

I would be very grateful if you could give me the benefit of any advice on this,and possibly also indicate which Pentax DSLR might be the most suitable to get me underway.

Many thanks from Wales over in the UK

Brian.

01-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I love using presets on digital -- once you get used to it, it is no particular trouble. Especially since you've used them before on film cameras, I don't think you'll find it an undue burden.
01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, you just need an adapter and off you go! If you are already used to automatic lenses, it might take a while t o learn manual, but its no big deal. That link that Boriscleto posted tells you pretty much everything. I would suggest you get a K-01, because right now it is cheap and has focus peaking, which can help with focusing manual lenses. On the other hand, it doesn't have an OVF and its not a true DSLR (no mirror, always in live view) - if that bothers you, a K-r might be good. Or even a K-x.
A K-30 would also be great, if your budget allows. Has viewfinder, focus peaking and if you get a WR lens, you can use it in bad weather.

01-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

To add to what others have said, the presets happen to be the easiest (and funnest, IMO) of all the older manual lenses to use on a newer Pentax body, as far as exposure is concerned. You won't have any problem getting the right exposure.
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for the Links,and all of the helpful advice,
Cheers
01-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thre are a couple of things you should consider doing before you start coing it to take pictures.

The most important thing you should do is to run a calibration check on the metering with your lenses.

To do this, find a location with a uniform colored and uniformly lit surface. I find paved roadways, sidewalks, or block walls work best

Then, with each of your lenses and using the camera's metering, shoot one shot at each aperture from wide opened to stopped down all the way to minimum aperture

Using a photo editor that can display the histogram and the median greyscale value plot greyscale vs aperture for each lens. Do this for both M and Av mode, as this can differ as a function of camera model

A greyscale value of 115-120 is normal exposure Every 45 with neutral contrast settings is one stop.

Learn what each lens does, and how they perform. Then there is no mystery about exposure errors. The different Pentax cameras have different metering behaviour with different lenses.

Learn how your lenses behave, once you do this, you will enjoy the lenses a lot more
01-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
To add to what others have said, the presets happen to be the easiest (and funnest, IMO) of all the older manual lenses to use on a newer Pentax body, as far as exposure is concerned. You won't have any problem getting the right exposure.
Totally

01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I couldn't agree more. I love to use my old Soligar preset on my K110D and K-01.