Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Software Question

Hello everyone,
I just purchased my first DSLR camera on ebay today. A used Pentax *ist DL 6.1 MP Digital SLR.
This camera does not have any software with it and it looks like I need Pentax Photo Browser / Lab Version 1.0 installed first in order to upgrade to the latest version.

Any help where I may find version 1.0 (the version that ships with the camera)

no luck at the pentax site.

thanks for any help.

Tex

02-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #2

I don't think the software is available for download. Ifyou didn't get it with the camera then there is probably no legal way of getting it (well of course you could buy it from someone).
But I can really honestly say that you are not missing much. Most of the popular freeware/commercial image editing tools are way better in terms of usability, features etc.
02-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree. Just about every software app out there is better than the supplied Pentax software. They make great cameras, not so good software. My favorite budget software is Adobe Photoshop Elements. Great tools for organizing your photos as well as editing them. Under $100.
02-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The newer versions of the software downloaded from the Pentax website will not install unless they first find Pentax software installed from the CD. Therefore, if you want to use this software, your best bet would be to contact Pentax and attempt to purchase/obtain a CD from them.

But, to agree with what "procyon" (and now "davemdsn") said, you do not really need the software installed on that CD. Images can be transferred from the camera to the computer using the memory card and a card reader on your computer. And nearly all of the freeware/commercial software programs will edit those images just as good, and in most cases better, than the Pentax software. Likewise, any camera firmware updates come with their own installers which do not need the CD or software from the CD.

If you want to know which software programs will work with your images, look around in the "Post Processing & Software" sub-forum on this website for related threads. There have been plenty of discussions there about both freeware and commercial products.

stewart