Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-x owners.... still happy?

I loved my K-x, and used it all the time..... until I got a K-01. Now all of the limitations with the K-x are suddenly much more heinous. The K-01 has so much better focus accuracy, and it's got such better IQ. My biggest problems with the K-x center around the autofocus accuracy -- or lack thereof. Sure it's fast, but it OFTEN misses the intended target, and a great many lenses back or front focus on the K-x. The K-01? Every lens focuses perfectly, and for every shot the intended target is in sharp focus. My keeper rate went from roughly 25% to roughly 95% just by switching cameras.

Now, I do like some things about the K-x better. The in-camera image processing on the K-x is vastly superior to the K-01. The wireless TTL is also a huuuuuuge plus. I also prefer the button position (especially on the D-pad) on the K-x.... but you know what? I can live with the K-01 limitations a LOT more than I can live with the K-x limitations. I honestly haven't used my Kx since purchasing the K-01.

Am I the only one thinking this way?

I mean, I don't dislike the K-x, it's been my solid friend for years now... it's just.... it feels really dated compared to the K-01 and K-30, and after seeing how accurate AF can be, I'm just not that happy with it anymore.

Charles.

01-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, still happy, since when it comes to capturing moving objects, shots with flash, and those taken with longer or bulkier lenses, the K-x still wins. It's also better with slow shutter speeds, where hand-holding the K-01 is more likely to give me motion blur. For me, the K-01 complements the K-x perfectly, and that's exactly what I got it for.
01-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
The K-01 has so much better focus accuracy, and it's got such better IQ.
Do you really see so better IQ? Agreed about focus accuracy though.
01-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yep ! still happy with the K-x i would'nt say that i'd say no to a free brand new K5/K5II/K30

01-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will upgrade one day but my K-x is still doing well. My copy generally focuses pretty well, probably 90-95+ %.
01-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep... still happy. Does everything I want it to do very well.
01-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
arv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not very happy, as shutter died after about 70.000 actuations. Got K-30, but send to replace K-x shutter, as I really liked it and still plan to keep it.

A.
01-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

Still love my K-x. I really can't see much difference in IQ to my K-5. I've done 30x20cm prints from both and I just can't tell them apart. Maybe if I do extreme pixel peeping the K-5 might look better but I'm not sure. Though I guess you can squeeze more out of the K-5 in post-processing if you have very contrasty pictures. And the K-x has a bit more noise in high ISO. But IQ from the K-x is really splendid.

The reason I got a K-5 was for handling (more controls, WR, etc), not IQ. I find the big weakness of the K-x to be the viewfinder: in bright light it's impossible to read the data in there. The K-5 viewfinder is so much better.

I've had more autofocus problems with the K-5 than with the K-x.

01-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Still (relatively) happy. I use manual lenses, mostly, so AF isn't such an issue for me. I doubt the K-30's IQ is far better than K-x's IQ. I would have gotten the K-30 if it had had the same sensor as K-5, with the same DR. (The K-5/II/s is weighs too much for my aching backbone. Besides, the K-5 weighs as much as Nikon D600...) Now I'm waiting for a 24mp camera--hope it's going to be light.
01-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #10

For the most part. My K-x is still as awesome as it ever was. It has really put my foot in the door to a broader industry at work, extending my doula services with birth photography. But I do feel a little limited by my K-x so I'm looking for an upgrade to a K-5 or K-5ii
01-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I killed my K-x last Spring.

I was quite happy with it, but I managed to rack up almost 100,000 actuations within just over a year. In August I managed to get a lintwad inside the shutterbox (tip: Don't get lazy about not attaching your rear cap to your lens, and always do a quick check before sticking a lens on the camera. I had a dustbunny or something wrapped about my aperture lever and WELP), and from there on it slowly started to crap out before finally giving up the ghost in April.

I've been saving pennies since to get a K-30 and possibly a Q10 (wife has kind of nixed the Q hopes, so I'm going to get a decent lens instead).

Right now I have a $2000 order (K-30 w/18-55WR, tripod, O-GPS1, Sigma 10-20mm) sitting in B&H's order page awaiting my tax refund so I can hit 'submit'. I tend to do a lot of night shooting and landscape/macros so I'm hoping the Sigma/O-GPS1 combo will do well together.

If I hadn't loved my K-x to death (literally) I never would have that much money waiting to get invested in a few weeks when the money rolls in for me.

Last edited by Sagitta; 01-23-2013 at 07:22 AM.
01-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I love my k-x.

It's been through almost 50 or 60k shutters with me, numerous drops and impacts, a few bad weather moments, and it's still rocking on. My images are still fantastic, the focus is still as good as it always was (i.e. kinda sucky), and it's almost a natural extension of my right arm now. That being said, it does has flaws. I want to get weather sealing, viewfinder AF points, two dials, better low-light focus, better fast-lens focus, a battery grip, silent shutter, and a mode dial lock.

Oh hey - that's a k-5IIs right there. So I know what I want to get of everything my k-x taught me.
01-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

My K-X is still my trusty workhorse for many situations, even though my new K-01 is all brand-new, proudly yellow and has a higher resolution LCD screen and better sensor. I opted to use my K-X instead of my K-01 during my Christmas vacation with the kiddies, when I wanted to ensure that I'd get good shots of toddlers running around inside. I just can't trust the K-01 to do that consistently, even if it can sometimes. I do agree with ChopperCharles about the focus accuracy, though; my K-01 keeper rate is better than my K-X. Still, the focusing speed on the K-X is faster, and that can make the crucial difference between getting a shot and not getting it.... plus I like the grip of the K-X; it feels better and more assured in my hands than the K-01...
01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Still extremely happy with my K-x although it belongs to the wifey, like someone else in here said-it is hard to tell the difference in IQ when imigez are compared to the K-5, its just that the K-5 has many more much needed features that the K-x lacks, other than that the K-x is a solid performer and will be for a long time to come I just prefer the useabulity of the K-5 more
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently upgraded to a K-30 in Novrmber and parted ways with my K-x. It was a tough decision but I did not think I would get much use from it and wanted it to go to a user who would get more use from it. I love my K-30 and upgraded for the few small upgrades that it has that I wanted, assist lamp, in VF focus indicators, two wheels, but I still smile broadly when I look back at my old K-x pics. That was my first DSLR and it is an excellent tool and I think it will go down as one of the best DSLR's ever released as it really revitalized Pentax as a go to name brand. It's high ISO was leading edge before it's siblings came along and it really made people stand up and take notice of Pentax.