Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
No stop down metering with pentax-m lenses (K-x)

Hi.. As I said in the title, I cannot stop down with any of my pentax-m lenses (50mm, 28mm and 135mm) on K-x. I used the camera some days ago and all went right as usual. This morning I switched on the camera and put it to M mode and.. it behaves exactly as Av mode: the lightmeter continues to meter even after I press the green button, regardless of the f-stop I select on the lens. It means the shutter time is updated anytime I change framing and/or iso setting.
Moreover, the lens is used always at max aperture. Exactly as Av mode with a pentax-m lens. But it clearly says M mode.
Now?

01-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Turn off auto ISO.
01-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Turn off auto ISO.
As far as I know, there's no auto ISO when using pentax-m lenses..
I noticed that in live view the stop down metering goes as expected. Turning off LV make the M mode functioning as usual without any problem. But when I turn off and then turn on the camera, it starts to behave as Av mode again. It seems there's something wrong with firmware.. Right?
01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you got dirty lens contacts?

If pin 7 the data pin on the lens mount (furthest away from the lens locking pin) is not connected the lens may not stop down because the camera thinks no lens is connected

01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
No, they don't seem to be dirty. It was the first thing I checked (i didn't know the 7th pin was involved, so I checked them all).
01-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Does the camera work with an AF lens? Just trying to get a good feel for the problem.

Also, have you turned the power off and pulled the batteries? Just to see if a complete power down and restart changes anything?
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Does the camera work with an AF lens? Just trying to get a good feel for the problem. Also, have you turned the power off and pulled the batteries? Just to see if a complete power down and restart changes anything?
Yes, it works (with a 18-55mm). I also pulled the batteries but didn't change anything. However, batteries were running out of charge.. Now I'm charging another set to check if something change.
01-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Have you changed the custom settings to 'permit using aperture ring'?

Here's a link:
Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

01-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
Have you changed the custom settings to 'permit using aperture ring'?

Here's a link:
Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support
Sure! I've been using these lens for 2 years.. The custom setting is still on 'permit using aperture ring'.
01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Ah, I missed that in your original post. All I can think of is a full reset (there are two reset options, do them both) and if that doesn't work re-install the firmware. After that I got nuthin.
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Do the green button work if you set it to any other function like optical or digital preview? I'm thinking about dirty green button contacts or something like that. I recently had a sticky shutter button, sprayed some switch cleaner in and now it works fine again