Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

Lowlight autofocus: Kx vs k5 vs k5ii

I am a K-x owner and I have happily used it because the majority of my photography is taken in pitch-black dark rooms with a spot light here or there (labor and delivery rooms, for birth photography). But, even with the K-x's awesome low light capabilities, it will search and search sometimes. So I was wondering.... I'd love a comparison of autofocus on these three cameras in specific conditions of low light. I want to upgrade, but only if the upgrade applies to my needs in low light conditions.

Thanks!

01-23-2013, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by therevslady Quote
I am a K-x owner and I have happily used it because the majority of my photography is taken in pitch-black dark rooms with a spot light here or there (labor and delivery rooms, for birth photography). But, even with the K-x's awesome low light capabilities, it will search and search sometimes. So I was wondering.... I'd love a comparison of autofocus on these three cameras in specific conditions of low light. I want to upgrade, but only if the upgrade applies to my needs in low light conditions.

Thanks!
The answer is in this video

01-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um reviews already show that the min EV for AF of the K-5ii is most spectacular. You can look it up in the camera review / comparison tool on these forums and other websites
01-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the video, that helps a lot!

I have 4 kids and very busy. I wish I had time to go through review after review. I just wanted to hear straight from people who actually use the cameras in daily life, and not from someone who just picked it up to write a review. I'm weird like that.

01-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

owner of both K-x and K-5 IIs

Well i own a k-x and a K-5 IIs and i can tell you that the K-5 IIs is much better at low light focusing. I can focus that camera in near dark and i shoot alot of concerts in dimly lit nightclubs. But the k-x is no slouch either once you get used to how it focuses. The focus indicators in the viewfinder and the focus assist lamp in the K-5 IIs do make a difference though.
01-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by therevslady Quote
Thanks for the video, that helps a lot!

I have 4 kids and very busy. I wish I had time to go through review after review. I just wanted to hear straight from people who actually use the cameras in daily life, and not from someone who just picked it up to write a review. I'm weird like that.
Both the K-5 and the K-5 II are much better than your K-x. The K-5 II can focus on hardly any light even without the AF assist beam. The K-5 still does a pretty good job in comparison, but it does need the AF assist beam in situations where the K-5 II does not.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam! That's the most helpful answer so far.