Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D AutoFocus.

After reading the manual from the link that's been posted in another thread my hope is fading for my continuing relationship with Pentax. I'm refering to the AutoFocus system. Chris mentioned that there have been improvements in the system, and that there was a new focus mode, oft refered to as Trap Focus.

Here are the details of the new focus mode copied verbatim from the K20D manual:
Shooting in Catch-in Focus Mode

When [34. Catch-in focus] is set to On in the [A Custom Setting] menu, if
the focus mode is set to l and one of the following types of lenses is
attached, catch-in focus shooting is possible and the shutter is released
automatically when the subject comes into focus.
Manual focus lens
DA or FA lens that has a = and \ setting on the lens (the setting on
the lens must also be set to \ before shooting)
􀀠How to Take Pictures
1 Attach lens to the camera.
2 Set the focus mode lever to l.
3 Set focus on a position the subject will pass.
4 Use the cable switch CS-205 and press the shutter release button fully.
The shutter is released automatically when the subject comes into focus
in the set position.
This is basically the same as what the K10D already does, just now it has a name and a menu item.

Is this the new focus mode we've heard about? If it is it doesn't excite me much.

I will still try this camera when it lands in Austalia, but I fear it may not be what I want.

02-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mark Dimo did a mini review over at dpreview of the K20, he mentioned that he thought the double checking was reduced by default (without any specific feature in the menu) and that the AF seemed snappier.

This was a quote by him when asked about it "i did objectively notice that the K20 does less of the K10's rechecking for AF. IMO, it is more responsive and accurate."

The entire thread is in the Pentax forum if you want to browse it.
02-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
After reading the manual from the link that's been posted in another thread my hope is fading for my continuing relationship with Pentax. I'm refering to the AutoFocus system. Chris mentioned that there have been improvements in the system, and that there was a new focus mode, oft refered to as Trap Focus.

Here are the details of the new focus mode copied verbatim from the K20D manual:

[

This is basically the same as what the K10D already does, just now it has a name and a menu item.
It needed an option in the menu to be used with DA and FA lenses instead of only MF lenses.
02-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

There has been reports of tweaking but it is tweaking the same system from the k10d, so I think if people are expecting 40d/d300 AF then they are better of getting one of those than forking out for a k20d.

k20d is basically a k10d with a new, seemingly better, sensor and new options in the menu such as more customization and af adjustment. so i wouldnt upgrade if faster af is what you are after. even tho it might be better, if you are not happy with the k10d af then the change is not likely to be so big that you will be happy with the k20d af.

in other news I am glad they made a feature out of the trap focus since it seems you can now do it without having the cable release, even tho the cable release is mentioned in the manual, which i dont see the point of, if you still need it then what is the difference. furthermore they should have made this mode possible with all af lenses, just set the camera to mf, focus the lens and turn on this mode and the camera will wait untill something is in focus and fire the shot. that was a bit disappointing.

02-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It needed an option in the menu to be used with DA and FA lenses instead of only MF lenses.
it says it can only be used with DA and FA lenses that have an AF/MF switch on the lens itself, like the DA* zooms. so normal FA and DA will still not work just like before.