Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-m consumes "AA" Batteries

Pentax K-m consumes "AA" Battery power even when shut off.
I have noticed at times the Battery Level Indicator will vary the level of power when the camera is turned off & on again, going from a lower to slightly higher power indication.
When I test the Batteries with a Multimeter the strength levels display much more power than the camera does.
I cleaned the contacts, the contacts appear to be in their proper position in the camera. Any ideas?
Thanks

01-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Select the correct battery in the menu.
I also believe there are some updates concerning batteries.
01-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Updates?

Thanks for your reply, the only update I am aware of is the Firmware update Version 1.11 which I installed although it did not mention anything about batteries.
The Battery selector was set at "Auto Detect" therefore I set it manually to the actual Battery type last night, this morning, no change, the Batteries were fully charged are presently at about half charge. The camera was off, the rechargeable batteries are practically new. ????
01-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What batteries are you using?

01-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Rayovac

4- Rayovac "AA" Rechargeable NiMH 1.2 V, a extra battery I charged several weeks ago still indicated 1.3 V, 1325 mah when measured with a Multimeter.
I had different batteries problems with a Canon A560 previously, that camera was super picky with batteries until I used these Rayovac batteries.
Now the Canon functions perfectly.
The Canon A560 wouldn't accept new Duracell Alkaline batteries at all, it would message "No Batteries" in the camera.
That was a Canon thing with the way they designed the contacts & the way the batteries would sit in the camera.
Canon would hope consumers would purchase the Canon brand of "AA" Batteries & Charger at 3 X the price.
You are correct that "AA" batteries are not created equally, even in dimensions they vary slightly by brand.
The reason I still prefer my Bronica ETRSi Cameras, Lenses for serious assignments, no surprises or problems as with Digital Cameras.
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sanyo Eneloop low self discharge rechargeables. Unless you have a problem with your camera these will solve you battery issues or use Energizer Ultimate Lithium as a throw away source of power. Few if any regular NiMH batteries are able to maintain a high enough voltage with the current demand of the modern DSLR. Plug 'AA Battery" into the search on this site and you'll find numerous threads on this subject. The unanimous conclusion is "LSD" (Low Self Discharge) rechargeables with a good charger ie MAHA C-9000 is the way to go with AA batteries in Pentax DSLR's. I use Eneloops exclusively in my K200D and have no battery issues.
01-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply, I recharged the Rayovacs & approximately 4 hrs later, the camera seems to have stabilized still indicating a full (Green) charge.
I did also clean the contacts for the lens mount & lens contact points, a lot of dirt showed up on the Q-Tip after I cleaned. Although I am not sure if current reaches to that point
when the camera is off. Although so far so good, if they drain too quickly again, I will look into the Energizer Ultimate Lithium for further testing before investing much more.
01-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxK-m Quote
Pentax K-m consumes "AA" Battery power even when shut off.
I have noticed at times the Battery Level Indicator will vary the level of power when the camera is turned off & on again, going from a lower to slightly higher power indication.
When I test the Batteries with a Multimeter the strength levels display much more power than the camera does.
I cleaned the contacts, the contacts appear to be in their proper position in the camera. Any ideas?
Thanks
All NiMh AAs fluctuate in voltage, even Eneloops. They charge to about 1.45v but settle after a week unused to about 1.35v, and when they're used the voltage settles at about 1.24v for most of their life and then quickly falls to 1.15v and plummets after that. However, they recover after a rest period from heavy usage, which does make life hard for battery monitors and is what you're seeing, and different makes of AA discharge curves can plateau (the approx 1.24v mentioned) at somewhat different voltages anyway - LSD types usually are the best here. Basically, it's not a simple thing to just measure a voltage and state that there's a certain percentage of life left, unlike Li-ion which has a much more predictable discharge characteristic.

Last edited by SteveB; 01-26-2013 at 09:17 AM.
01-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Inexperience with Digital cameras is a factor in my case since this is my first DSLR.
Point & shoot cameras was all I used in the past for your typical family photos.
I noticed more patience is required to charge the batteries to their maximum power level for better results also.
The NiMh AA batteries I am using are Royovac rated at 1800 mAh are fine so far as long as I invest the time to charge them to maximum power.
Once I am confident that there are no circuit problems with the camera, I'll invest in some LSD type batteries.
I am looking into some Tenergy Centura AA 2000 mAh NiMH LSD Rechargeable Batteries, they are 1/2 the price of Eneloops.
I recelled 2 or 3 Quantum QB-1+ & QB1 Compact Power Packs with Tenergy AA power packs in the past, they were excellent for performance.
A Quantum QB1 Compact could be another option to consider for power.
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #10

I have been using the Sanyo Eneloop batteries for a few years now in my K100D and I have been happy with them. They just keep going and I hardly ever pay attention to my battery leve. However, the Tenergy Centura AA look like an interesting option when my eneloops finally die. It will be interesting to see how well they perform.