Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
(snip) Let people rant; it has no bearing on how well the camera works for you, and there's a good chance Pentax corporate will listen and respond with improved cameras.

Actually, there is a far greater chance Pentax will simply stop listening to users, especially when those rants become a flood of unrealistic gibberish with little regard for other factors or other considerations. For example, I'm constantly amazed at the demands for seemingly endless features in a $700 camera, some of those features only found in competing products costing thousands more. And those demands are seldom worded as a request ('I would like to have this'). Instead, they're far more often worded as an assault on Pentax products ('Pentax cameras sux') or Pentax itself ('Pentax is incompetent, ignorant, malicious, or greedy for not giving me what I want').

Regardless, I'm not particularily bothered by underhanded tactics when directed at those with some experience since they can usually see right through such folly and respond appropriately when others attempt to tear down a product they like. However, I've seen RiceHigh intentionally targeting new users asking questions about their cameras, or people simply considering the purchase of a Pentax camera, with negative rhetoric about Pentax products, nearly always hiding his own bias towards Canon (as an EOS 5D owner). Further, he constantly hides his own lack of experience to truly judge many of the things he is talking about. For example, he endlessly rants against the K10D, routinely failing to mention he has never owned a K10D nor even used one for any length of time (and, on at least one occasion, actually claiming experience with this camera he did not have).

Given that, it's clear RigeHigh needed to be firmly reminded this forum exists as a means of mutual support between fellow Pentax users, not a podium for endless rants against the company and it's products, or a platform to promote Canon cameras. Therefore, I understand the concerns of other members and fully support Adam's reasoned response in this incident. Now, enough said (certainly by me), so I intend to move on to other topics.

stewart

02-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Answer to your question

QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Note the 5D's generally noted for having the best low-light AF of its generation, it actually outperformed the 1DmIIN in low light (and only in low light). The 6 'invisible' AF points that it has over the 20D/30D make a huge difference and it appears that Canon optimized the performance for questionable lighting conditions.
Yes, you're right. I just hope that Pentax could have a body that designed and could perform like the 5D in view of this. To supplement you point, for the 6 invisible points, 3 are used to measure only f/2.8 faster lenses for better AF accuracy and the other 3 are for f/5.6 slower lenses for wider adaptability, which I must say this is a very good design which yield far more accurate and reliable results afterall.

QuoteQuote:
@RiceHigh: Ever used a MZ body other than the MZ-S? Aside from that one body, the MZ AF was terrible. The MZ-5n was the best of the lot and it hunted badly in low light. It made the *istD's AF look brilliant.
I first acquired a MZ-30 in fall 1999 and then a MZ-S in early 2002. I can confirm firmly both are having more decisive AF and better low light performance than my *ist D which is the DSLR which I had been using for taking the most photos.

The MZ-30 has the SAFOX VI whereas the MZ-S has SAFOX VII. As for the old 1995 MZ-5, I have no long enough experience with it and it would not be surprised if your MZ-5n falls short of when it focuses at low light (AFAIK, the MZ-5n shares the same SAFOX (III?) 3-point AF system)

QuoteQuote:
If AF performance is a major issue, Canon or Nikon's where you want to be. Both are clearly better than the smaller companies on this issue (Oly marketing is full of crap about the E-3's AF, it's good, but not up to CaNikon's pro bodies).
But if Pentax could make or re-introduce a better AF system in a new DSLR body, we all old Pentax users, who have a lot of investment on old glass, can then get the best of both world! (But of course, now we still have NOT had that so far and in the foreseeable near future, for what I can see)
02-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #63
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
WOW. I thought Ben would have received the notice, I didn't find anything RH said to be offensive but his continual persecution certainly is.
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Ok, I've read the forum usage guide but I don't see anything about "rules" there except a note about how to report said rules. So what are these rules that RiceHigh has supposedly violated? For that matter, what exactly are the "rules" of this forum and where are they posted? Or was this "infraction" issued in reference to someone else?

Richard
Hi Richard,

The forum rules can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/1-forum-rules.html.

Formally, here is the rule that the behavior reported to me would fall under:

QuoteQuote:
Additionally, users, that act disrespectfully in their posts or otherwise cause trouble will be banned or warned as needed.
As you may have calculated by now, I do not have the time to read through every post on the site, nor the time to deeply analyze every compex issue that comes up. Due to the number of complaints posted, however, I decided to issue an infraction (which is esentially a warning), telling RiceHigh about all these complaints. It's as simple as hat, so let's not turn this into a multi-sided argument, please.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hi Richard,

The forum rules can be found here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/1-forum-rules.html.

Formally, here is the rule that the behavior reported to me would fall under:

As you may have calculated by now, I do not have the time to read through every post on the site, nor the time to deeply analyze every compex issue that comes up. Due to the number of complaints posted, however, I decided to issue an infraction (which is esentially a warning), telling RiceHigh about all these complaints. It's as simple as hat, so let's not turn this into a multi-sided argument, please.
Thanks Adam. I found the rules after a search of the site. So if I understand your explanation correctly, if a poster generates a number of complaints, that poster is issued an infraction (warning). I personally have no problem with RH (or anyone else) who says negative things about Pentax. I have a few negative thoughts about Pentax myself. I'm not married to the company and am not a "gear head". But I think RH should offer constructive workarounds for the perceived Pentax shortcomings. rather than just dump on the brand. So I understand where the members who complain about him are coming from.

Also, I appreciate that this is not an unmoderated group. I've been a member of one such group for over ten years and for a time it was almost destroyed by flame wars and generally unpleasant people. I and others emailed the owner privately and asked him to step in and do something. Finally he did and the "bad" folks eventually left.

I've been a working photographer for over 50 years (somewhat semi-retired now). I also teach and write articles occasionally on the subject and consider myself pretty knowledgeable. But I tell you truly, not a day goes by that I don't learn something new, sometimes from my students. You can't be a successful teacher if you are narrow-minded and unwilling to learn. I hope I always maintain and exhibit a positive attitude.

Anyway, thanks again Adam and to all the moderators. And to all the members. You too, RH.

Richard