Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Long Exposure - Night

Hello All,

I have been practicing a lot this week. I am wondering if there are any settings that work best for night time long exposures? ISO, Aperture etc? I understand the day time long exposure.

Thank you.

Oh ya. I just recently purchased a K-30 with 18-55 WR kit lens.

01-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For long exposures in general I start and try to use my camera's native ISO, and then I play with the aperture. I also try to determine what the sharpest aperture my lens can yield, and then go from there.

Last edited by kaiserz; 01-25-2013 at 11:00 PM.
01-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Depends on what you are taking pictures of. First a tripod a must - shutter release - you can play with settings but again depending on the scene you may need seconds or minutes for exposure.
01-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod is a must and shutter release is really needed for convenience.
If the aperture is already the smallest and you want to extend the exposure time than the scene situation, ND filters are needed, e.g. ND8, ND64, ND400 or ND1000.
If the aperture is already the smallest and the exposure time is more than 30sec, a second counter is needed ... a digital watch, adroid phones, windows phones, iphones should have such a function.

Two photos are attached for your reference.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
Wow

QuoteOriginally posted by SKwan Quote
Tripod is a must and shutter release is really needed for convenience.
If the aperture is already the smallest and you want to extend the exposure time than the scene situation, ND filters are needed, e.g. ND8, ND64, ND400 or ND1000.
If the aperture is already the smallest and the exposure time is more than 30sec, a second counter is needed ... a digital watch, adroid phones, windows phones, iphones should have such a function.

Two photos are attached for your reference.

I had no idea an ND filter was used at night. I do have a 10 stop ND. Is that to dark? How the heck do you focus?

Thank you.
01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mlcinema Quote
I had no idea an ND filter was used at night. I do have a 10 stop ND. Is that to dark? How the heck do you focus?
Before adding the ND filter, composition and focus need to be done first and then change the focus method to MF. ND filter is often needed when taking the photos of light track of vechicle, tram, vessel.

I like to use the exposure meter of my android phone to check and calculate the exposure value needed when ND filter is added.