Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What settings to use on flash when diffused

Hey guys,

I got my first flash (Sigma 530 Super) and have been playing around with it some. I have a question about using it when diffused (either BBC or Omnibounce etc..) What settings do you put it on? Do you keep it in the auto mode or do you set it higher because of the bounce?

Actually I'm almost totally lost when it comes to using it since so far i've just been using the on camera since i couldn't afford a separate one. I had an old sunpak for my old camera but that was much easier to do guess work since there were just a few switches for the mods

02-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the off-brand flashes. The Sigma needs a chip installed for Pentax. I use the Pentax 540, but I would think yours worked the same. If you use P-TTL and you are close enough to the subject, you shouldn't need to change anything on the flash. The camera will determine when enough light has entered the lens, and will properly expose the subject.

The same thing should happen with the flash on auto, although remember on auto, the flash is working independently of the camera, and it's making its own decisions. An omnibounce will lose you about two stops of light, but with the flash on auto, if you are close enough to the subject, the sensor should still be able to determine proper exposure. You'll need to set the camera to match the flash when you do that - probably put the camera on manual and set f-stop and ISO to what's on the flash.

Having said that, I'm still a lot better with flash on a film camera than on my K10D. I'm getting better, but I guess I'm not alone, since I hear a lot of complaints about flash inconsistencies with digital. One thing I have determined lately is that it helps if I remember to put the lens hood on the lens. Keeps extraneous light from entering the lens and making the camera think the pic is properly exposed when it may turn out underexposed.

Cheers
02-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Lots of good info. I guess i'll have to play a lot more with it I dunno why but it just feels much different to set the dials digitally than some sliders.
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

AF360FGZ + Stofen : P-TTL : in many, many cases I do put +1 compensation on flash itself and +1 for flash compensation on camera.