Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1

K-x autofus when using a remote

Is there some other step involved in getting a K-x to autofocus when using a remote besides enabling it in the Custom menu, item #11? I've done that and when I press the remote button, it simply activates the shutter. Using the 3-second delay just delays the shutter-trip without activating the autofocus. I'm using this remote: http://cloud8.lbox.me/images/384x384/201209/remote-control-for-pentax_txcrwq1346906781224.jpg

Any advise would be welcome.

Bruce

01-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the same remote control and it does the same as yours by default. My K-30 has a menu option for this:- AF with Remote Control, 1 is default, 2 activates AF before the shutter fires. Have a look to see if yours has something similar.

I also bought a cheap wired remote and that has a half-press button for AF/shutter so works much like the camera's shutter button. Not sure if the K-x has a socket though.
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, Steve. I had discovered in another thread here about the menu item you referenced. I set that and it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe I should try pulling the batteries. I think you're right about the K-x not having a socket. It has a USB port, but I think that's only for hooking to a computer. I'll let you know if the power-cycling works out.
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The Pentax bodies that allow for AF through a wireless remote do so with the Pentax O-RC1 (waterproof) remote and not the Pentax F remote. This is because the O-RC1 has multiple buttons on it, one of which has been programmed to allow AF. Some 3rd party options may also allow for AF, but its almost certain that those 3rd party options will need to be multi button remotes as well.

01-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
The Pentax bodies that allow for AF through a wireless remote do so with the Pentax O-RC1 (waterproof) remote and not the Pentax F remote. This is because the O-RC1 has multiple buttons on it, one of which has been programmed to allow AF. Some 3rd party options may also allow for AF, but its almost certain that those 3rd party options will need to be multi button remotes as well.
Not on the K-30. One button and you can AF and shoot, but what you can't do is just AF.
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
I finally got it sorted out. I started playing around with it and discovered if it was in AutoPict or any of the pre-program modes it would in fact focus prior to shooting. A little more poking around and I discovered the AF Mode setting. It had been set to continuous, which apparently prevents it from focusing prior to tripping the shutter when using the remote, even if it has been set that way in the extended menu. I really need to spend some quality time in the manual. As soon as I can lay my hands on it again. Thanks for all the tips folks!
01-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very interesting, Bruceman20. Thanks for investigating. And indeed...I think we all would have had to do some digging for this one.