Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trarmstrong Quote
I enjoy the more "film-like" look
Once you get settled in you might look at some of the older Pentax lenses. There are lots of older manual k-mount and m42 mount lenses that have a more 'film' look to them than the modern ones. Some might say it is a less 'precise' rendering but the look is distinctive and I think often more pleasing than the more exact rendering of modern lenses.

Look here for some good examples: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club.html

01-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #17

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the link. I'll defiantly check into that.

So, where's the best place to pick one of the takumar lenses at (ebay?) and also, would it be better to pick up the 18-55 WR lens with the camera and invest in a few of these lenses used rather than the 18-135? I'm just not sure (aside from travel purposes) if the 56-135 range will be used as much as just a 18-55 and a few primes (super-takumar 35mm, being one).
01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally like the silent and quick autofocus on the DA 18-135, and if you don't like it you should have no problem selling it in the marketplace. The IQ of the 18-135 is also better than the 18-55, plus it is so flexible for walking around. One other thing is that if you're out wandering outdoors and the weather is a bit damp you will have less lens changes to risk any water intrusion. I say go for the 18-135, then add whatever lenses later.
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
Yos
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I personally like the silent and quick autofocus on the DA 18-135, and if you don't like it you should have no problem selling it in the marketplace. The IQ of the 18-135 is also better than the 18-55, plus it is so flexible for walking around. One other thing is that if you're out wandering outdoors and the weather is a bit damp you will have less lens changes to risk any water intrusion. I say go for the 18-135, then add whatever lenses later.
I agree with VoiceOfReason.
Bought the K-r with the 18-55 & 55-300 lens kit and I got tired of changing lenses all the time. Since my budget is limited I bought the Tamron 18-200 lens as my walk around/travel lens.
Would love to have the K-30 with the 18-135WR lens, great combination for travel and hiking.

01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trarmstrong Quote
would it be better to pick up the 18-55 WR lens with the camera and invest in a few of these lenses used rather than the 18-135?
18-135 is a better lens than the 18-55, somewhat better image quality and it is WR. Though you could get the 18-55WR. My wife moved up from the 18-55 to the 18-135 and definitely will not go back. The difference in image quality is noticeable in the images, not just by 'pixel peeping'. She mostly shoots food and things for her blog so you would not think she would use the long end but she actually does. She prefers to stand back a bit and zoom in to get that perspective.

Anyway, even if you want add some old primes later get the 18-135mm it is an excellent all around, no time to mess with things, travel lens.
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I agree with the others regarding getting the 18-135. If you are going to get the 2 kit lenses, the DA55-300 is better than the 50-200.
01-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #22

I think everyone has given you some great info. Don't pick the k-30 over the size of the k-5 II. The 5 is smaller than you think. I remember when I got mine after Thanksgiving; This little thing is the bomb everyone's talking about? It's not big enought to take great shots like the Mark II. WRONG, this thing is awesome and takes fabulous pictures. The k-5 is nearly the same camera s the IIs. I moved up from a K-r and yes the 5 is bigger but not much. It's not a chunky Canon.
Do a side by side with all of the specs and add up what is important to you and the kind of photography you do or want to do. Plus everyone is right about the lenses mentioned above. The camera is just the start of it, the journey lies in your ability to use the machine and go to work with it.

Racerdew