What I shoot (in order of frequency) - mostly travel other than "indoors":
Indoors
Street
Landscape/Architecture
Night

What I am considering (price break of K-5 makes it harder):

1. Pentax K-5 with 18-55 WR: $899.00
2. Pentax K-30 with 18-55 WR: $846.95

or, the same cameras with the 18-135mm (difference in price between them is $264).

Was originally looking at mirrorless cameras (Olympus OM-D and Fujifilm X-E1, respectfully) however, found them too expensive for the difference in image quality. Besides, I love a good ole fashion viewfinder.

Thank you all.

01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will not go wrong with either camera, but I would suggest getting the 18-135mm for travel it is a very good zoom range and a small step up from the 18-55 in image quality.

You might go here: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-01 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com for a point by point comparison. Both are excellent cameras and both have advantages over the other in certain areas. Only you can say what is more important to you.

k-5 has 14bit recording, 1/8000 max shutter speed, 5 frame bracketing, can use a battery grip
k-30 has update AF module, improved video, can use AA batteries with adapter

But check out the comparison above, at current price points it comes down to what features you value.
01-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some general advice: Don't spend too much on the body compared to the lens(es). A used K-x or K-r will give you close to the performance of a K-5 or K-30.

I would consider the DA18-135 as a minimum-level lens. It's a good starting point though, and then you can decide if you're looking for anything more. For some people that's all they want. I've still considered getting one for it's wide zoom range, but my DA18-55 just sits in a box somewhere.

Since I went from a K-x to a K-5 to a K-5 IIs, you'll have to ask others regarding the K-5 vs K-30 decision - assuming you still want to buy the body new. I can tell you that I barely noticed the improvement going from the K-x to the K-5, because I already had some very good lenses.
01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K5 is awesome. I would go for it.

01-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #5

I would buy the best quality you can rather than quantity. Try to get the best lense you can or wait for the money to come. I have a couple nice lenses and some old very average lenses and I always get better quality shots with my better lenses. However you have to spend some money to get them. Buying the body is kind of a toss up.

Both are excellent bodies and have different advantages and you won't make a mistake with either body. I bought a K-5 IIs this past "Black Friday" and I am so happy with the camera. If you have lenses already just buy the body and save for the next dream lense. I think I might favor the k-30 over the 5. Plus the body of the K-30 looks hot. it also has better video if you are going to use it. The newer upgrades might just be the difference. See the lense reviews in the forum for help with lenses. The 50 - 300 MM Pentax lense is not a lot of money for a lense but has very good reviews. It is better than the 55-200 so I hear.

Racerdew
01-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I would buy the best quality you can rather than quantity. Try to get the best lense you can or wait for the money to come. I have a couple nice lenses and some old very average lenses and I always get better quality shots with my better lenses. However you have to spend some money to get them. Buying the body is kind of a toss up.

Both are excellent bodies and have different advantages and you won't make a mistake with either body. I bought a K-5 IIs this past "Black Friday" and I am so happy with the camera. If you have lenses already just buy the body and save for the next dream lense. I think I might favor the k-30 over the 5. Plus the body of the K-30 looks hot. it also has better video if you are going to use it. The newer upgrades might just be the difference. See the lense reviews in the forum for help with lenses. The 50 - 300 MM Pentax lense is not a lot of money for a lense but has very good reviews. It is better than the 55-200 so I hear.

Racerdew
I am leaning toward the K-30 with the 18-135mm due to the updated hardware and the lighter/smaller body.
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I do not know the battery life of the K-30 with AA adapter, but for 'travel' the long battery of the K-5 is worth remembering. I don't know enough about the K-30 to say much more than that; my K-5 has done excellent work.

01-27-2013, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

My recommendation for that kind of money: DA35 / 2.4 + DA 18-135 + K30, cheaper lens prime quality, lens for all by little, camera with good focus-sensor-controls-housing
01-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have pretty much the same decision facing me, only my main preferences are night, faux-macro (flowers, etc) and family snaps/portraiture. I'm opting (at the moment, it changes frequently as I try to budget myself) for the K-30 body and 18-135WR bought separately simply because the cost of the blue body + 2 year Warranty + lens is like 27 bucks higher than the black body + warranty.

I'm going the K-30 route because the camera is less expensive and has the focus peaking which will be handy for my collection of old manual glass. I figure by this time next year or the year after the true K-5 successor will be out, and it should (hopefully) have the focus peaking included and I can grab that then.
01-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I have pretty much the same decision facing me, only my main preferences are night, faux-macro (flowers, etc) and family snaps/portraiture. I'm opting (at the moment, it changes frequently as I try to budget myself) for the K-30 body and 18-135WR bought separately simply because the cost of the blue body + 2 year Warranty + lens is like 27 bucks higher than the black body + warranty.

I'm going the K-30 route because the camera is less expensive and has the focus peaking which will be handy for my collection of old manual glass. I figure by this time next year or the year after the true K-5 successor will be out, and it should (hopefully) have the focus peaking included and I can grab that then.
After looking at the individual DXO numbers and features, I am probably going to get the K-30 and 18-135 ($1029 - Amazon at the moment).

How is the Pentax "colors"? I had a Sony DSLR which I sold within two months due to the colors and files being too digital looking and very contrasty. Almost too perfect. I enjoy the more "film-like" look (Fujifilm and Ricoh GR look).

Thanks.
01-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #11
Forum Member

I suggest to consider a better lens instead of camera. K-30 plus 18-135 should be a good couple. I bought K5 plus 18-135 two years ago. Even I have further bought several lens afterwards and it is always in my bag when go shooting photos.

I like Fuji colors but the company does not take care the DSLR market. I compared the pictures between Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Pentax and finally found Pentax is my preference. Pentax colors has got a one third of reason for me to pick a K5.

This forum provides and excellent Photo Search by Pentax cameras and lens. You may check if the colors are your favorite.

Stephen
01-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a couple of thoughts:

Focus peaking isn't the answer to everything. You'd be better off investing in a better focusing screen for use with old manual lenses, especially if you tend to use the viewfinder rather than liveview. If you shoot RAW then you can easily tweak the colours to your desire. You might find the 18-135 disappointing at the long end. If you can live with lens swapping then a 18-55 / 50-200 (or 55-300) combo could be a better (and cheaper) bet.
01-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
If you shoot RAW then you can easily tweak the colours to your desire.
As mentioned, raw is always best. Plus in programs like Lightroom, you have channel mixers that you can adjust to your liking. You can even save these adjustments as a preset. Some even sell presets to match very specific films (both color and blackand white).
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trarmstrong Quote
How is the Pentax "colors"? I had a Sony DSLR which I sold within two months due to the colors and files being too digital looking and very contrasty. Almost too perfect. I enjoy the more "film-like" look (Fujifilm and Ricoh GR look).
In addition to the previously mentioned Photo Search here, I'd highly recommend looking at the PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model as well as Camera Database and Museum at PBase.com and Over a million full-size sample photos from SLR and mirrorless cameras combined with different lenses This way you can compare to your previous Sony as well as Fujifilm and others. I personally like the CCD sensor of my K200D, but I've enjoyed the colors on all the Pentax DSLRs I've owned.
01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
Wow, thanks a lot! You guys are very helpful and "decent" compared to the ones over at dpreview. There is no need for drama when it comes to a passion such as photography (everyone started somewhere). Thanks.

Leaning: Pentax K-30 and either 18-55 + 55-200 or 18-135 kit....eventually get the 35mm f/2.4 as well.