Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Time lapse shooting with mirror lock-up?

I guess this has been discussed before but didn't find real answer with search. So is this possible with any Pentax DSLR's? Today I did my first time lapse video with K-5 interval shooting mode (which is nice) but I'm worried about shutter wear as these may well take 1000-2000 shots per one short video. I'm not sure how much replacing shutter mechanism costs but I guess quite a lot. So, is there possibility to increase the shutter life by shooting time lapse videos mirror locked up? I tried to figure out how to do this in live view mode without success (with self-timer and so on). I have wired and wireless remote controls. So is it even possible?

If not, how have you solved this problem or do you just shoot without worrying the possible cost? Have you bought for example another cheap body to do the job? I have K10D also, I guess only possibility to use that is separate intervalometer? Or is there some good (cheap) compact cameras for the job? I'm just worried about shutter or something else breaking if I start doing those as much as I'm planning to do...

01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy a cheap K-01 and your timelapse will be cheaper.
01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Buy a cheap K-01 and your timelapse will be cheaper.
That actually makes sense... Also as I have started to do more video, it would make nice back-up "video" MILC. If it also had tiltable screen, it would be "perfect". Only problem is that K-01 is not as cheap here in EU as it seems to be in the US... Cheapest body only -kit seems to be somewhere 350€ in here. If it was somewhere near 200€ I guess I would have already bought it One thing also I'd like is the WR as it would be nice to leave it outside without worrying too much about it getting wet. But thanks for bringing that up, I had forgotten that totally
01-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, Ron seems to have stole his K-01!

01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

True not easy at the time to get a K-01 cheap overhere.
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ii have done multiple shots with my K5IIs without the mirror going down by using Live View, but I'm pretty sure it'll close the shutter. I can't say I've taken a lens off and watched to see exactly what it's doing. I'll have a look when I get home.
01-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
And with "shutter wear" I obviously meant the "mirror wear" (mirror going up and down; preventing shutter wear when taking photos is quite impossible). I guess the best bet is to either buy cheaper body or "just go for it". I guess there is no point shooting in live-view as the shutter will do double job then (as the shutter is open when not shooting, opposed to that it is closed when mirror is down). Oh well. Time to stop worrying and just go shooting
01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mirror definatly stays up in livemode.