Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Remote question for k-x

hi everyone,
i've searched over the forums and i understand how to use the remote etc.etc and why i need to use it. i found numerous people who are saying they are getting certain tv remotes to work with the k-x. that's too big for me. i'm getting into astro photo and among other types and i need something very portable/small. i realize i can order one but i already have a very small remote that came with my JVC GR-DZ7 camcorder. my question is does anyone know if this remote will work with the kx and how do i get it to work? i turned on my kx and tried pushing all the buttons on the remote. the ir was just blinking on the camera and it is my understanding that once it recognizes the remote it will stop blinking. it's possible the small round battery in the remote is dead. i've 'never' used it but it's several years old...possibly 10 years old so it probably is dead but b4 i buy a battery i just thought i would post and see if anyone knows if it will work. i've googled it and can find nothing except about using the remote for the tv. it's ir so i would think it would work i just need to know for sure and how. thanks for any input and i know they sell them cheap but my philospy is if i have something already that can work that i'm not using why not use it. thanks again for any help if anyone knows.

kind regards

01-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No idea about TV remotes used to trigger cameras, but what you can do to check if it's sending a beam out is look at it with a cheap phone camera, you can see the the IR LED glow.
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt that the JVC remote uses the same codes as the K-x, but it will either work and the camera will fire the shutter, or it won't. If you've got the camera in IR mode and pushed all the buttons on the remote with nothing happening, then I don't think it will work. The TV remotes that work are usually programmable "universal" remotes (using codes for Sony devices, in my experience ).

You can get a remote from fleaBay for about the same price as a battery (I got one from Hong Kong for 99 cents - including shipping).
01-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You can get a remote from fleaBay for about the same price as a battery (I got one from Hong Kong for 99 cents - including shipping).
I got a Pentax remote F for 99cents on Ebay and 1 dollar shipping.