Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Intriguing new versus second hands choice

Hi all,

This is probably only an academic question as I won't have the cash for a month or two, but nevertheless people's thoughts will help me with my choices.

I've been looking to buy a K30 with kit lense. In the UK we only seem to get the 18-55 option although thats fine with me.

I have found what many of you will call a Mom and Pop store which is retailing the K30 kit at 550 which is pretty much the best price I can find online anyway.

Here's the thing. The shop has an almost unused in its box second-hand K-5 kit with the same lense. They want 500.

What are your thoughts on this as an alternative choice? Assume the K-5 is as new, which it seems to be.

In each case the lenses are identical WR kit lenses.

I'm new to DSLR moving up from quality compacts. I want to get something that won't baffle me but which can go quite advanced with in time, as I don't have the money for an upgrade every year or two. I'm interested in largely outdoor work when I am on hiking and fishing trips. Lots of landscapes and then close up stuff on insects and flowers too.

Will the menu navigation be fairly similar on the two cameras for a newb?

In my less than expert hands will I be able to get better shots with ISO 80 rather than 100?

I might say I have only really had a good look and demo of the K30 and liked it. I only noticed later they had the K-5 on their website. The shop is not so close to home for me but work takes me to the vicinity now and again, so I will have a look at it eventually (if it doesn't sell!).

All thoughts welcome.

01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you really want focus peaking and better video.. then get K-30. Otherwise get the K-5. But keep in mind that if you will be buying months from now, the prices may change and the deal may be gone (or another deal will appear).

Oh, and while the k-5 is a more advanced camera, I think Pentax is very intuitive and these forums have so much info you will quickly get over any bumps.
01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks.

Couldn't care less about video to be honest. What is focus peaking?

Edit: Sorry that was lazy of me. I googled it! Know what it is now. Looks like a useful thing.

Last edited by Doublegone Dod; 01-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.
01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just be sure to check if the K-5 isn't one from the first batch that had sensor stains on it!

01-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

I was in a similar boat a while back and got a used k5. I'd ask if they'd negotiate down to 450quid and snag the K5. Better camera for around the same price. The k30 isn't bad at all though. Make sure you get to hold both in hand as the grips are slightly different, and realistically i'd go with whatever feels best in hand
01-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It all depends on what works best for you, only you can figure that one out, however, we can at least tell you the differences between the cameras, I dont have a K-30 but I knew that they were coming out with a new camera body when I bought my K-5 last year. I even had a feeling they were going to come out with the K-5s successor but I really didn't care.....the best piece of equipment in photography is what you place behind the viewfinder......you
I came from a K-x and other than my continuing improving photography skillz I really dont notice any difference in IQ compared to the K-5, however I bought the K-5 for many other reasons, I didn't just get it thinking I can take better shots with it, I bought it for the extras it offers over the K-x
1-weather sealing, gotta have that, but the K-30 also has that as well
2- Magnesiom alloy body/frame, this camera feels more solid and of higher quality, it should hold up a lot better/longer than a K-30 but I don't know that for sure, I am just going off of instinct.
3-shutter sound is almost nonexistent, I hear the K-30 is louder, but I really enjoy how whisper quiet my K-5 is, it almost seams like it is not taking a shot.
4-top LCD to me is something I would have a hard time living without, that is a major thing I missed with the K-x
5- the option of a battery grip on the K-5 is another thing that is a must with me, the battery grip really balances this camera out in my hands. This reason alone is a big game killer for me when it comes to a K-30
6- more dynamic range. I have yet still to learn what that means but I am sure that when I do I will probably make use of it.

You cannot go wrong by going with the K-5 especially at a lower price than the K-30, even if it was the same price or even a little more, I still would go the route of the K-5, Do yourself a favor and see if the shop will let you handle both of the cameras and check them out thoroughly, who knows which one you will pick. IMHO the K-5 hands down is the one for me, it is way more rugged, has a more professional feel to it (I checked out a K-30 once and was not impressed, however it seems like a great camera in its own right) you might like that, or you like the idea of the K-30, the K-30 (kind of like the K-x) is a great camera to take on vacations and pack light and still be able to use any of your lenses, and it would make a great back up camera to a K-5 /II/IIs, if you get a K-30 and down the road you get any of the K-5s then it would be a great feeling knowing you have a dependable backup camera in the K-30 or even an accompanying camera. I still have my K-x even thought my wife uses it now, it is still an excellent back up to my K-5, I wont hesitate to pick that K-x up and use it, it has never let me down.
I hope this helps you out, make up your mind and get what is best for you, and then dont look back, instead just get out there and take photos and enjoy yourself, either camera will be an excellent choice depending on your needs