Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

CHICAGO - Recommendations for a good photo store ?

Hi all

I shall be visiting Chicago this August & staying for approx 3 - 4 days. Whilst there I'm hoping to obtain either a new Pentax K20D or K200D body (once all the hoohah has died down a bit), because as most of you know, prices in the UK are usually way over the odds taking into account the present $/ exchange rates. Does anyone have any precise recommendations where I should head for in order to obtain the best deal and how to (legally) avoid paying local taxes etc, as I understand that this is often possible if ordering from another state ? I'm also thinking about buying the Metz 58 A-F1 flashgun, so any advice gratefully received....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-23-2008 at 07:50 AM.
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

I think one of the oldest and most trusted camera store is Central camera in the loop (CentralCameraCompany). I have been there a few times, but never bought anything more than $20-$30 (I buy expensive stuff online to save on tax and get better deals). I don't think there is any way to save on tax by buying locally. You would have to order it online and have it shipped from a store outside Illinois. Try amazon, ritz camera etc. This might be a problem if you are here only for 3-4 days.
02-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ankit Quote
I think one of the oldest and most trusted camera store is Central camera in the loop (Central Camera Company). I have been there a few times, but never bought anything more than $20-$30 (I buy expensive stuff online to save on tax and get better deals). I don't think there is any way to save on tax by buying locally. You would have to order it online and have it shipped from a store outside Illinois. Try amazon, ritz camera etc. This might be a problem if you are here only for 3-4 days.
Second the vote for Central Camera. I got my MZ-S and 24-90 from them. They know their stuff. They also have a web presence under their own name. You might talk them into letting you order via the web. Take your laptop with its WiFi adapter <G>