Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Opinion on second camera - K10D vs K-01

I am keeping this brief...

I purchased a K-5IIs close to the time of its release and I really enjoy this camera. It has replaced my K10D, which now sits gathering dust. I have a parade event to photograph in the next month, and was considering carrying the K10D as a second camera. But the price drop on the K-01 has caught my attention.

So, what is your opinion? Purchase the K-01? Keep the K10D? Or is there another option I am not considering?

Cheers.

02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is going to give you better performance overall compared to the K10, in terms of both IQ and general speed. I'd give it a shot!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it is specifically for an outdoor event like that I'd stick with the K10D and its nice big pentaprism...I've never had much luck using an LCD in bright sunlight. The ISO limitation probably won't be a hindrance, I would imagine.
02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

i agree with adam, but in addition also note that in some areas the CCD of the K10 still is better (especially at ISO 100 in my opiinion ) to the C mos sensors of later cameras,

It is noce to have that option, you give it up if you go K-01

02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

The price of the K-01 and the 40xs lens was too good for me to pass up; just purchased. Will make the perfect back up, walk around camera for a prime nut like me.
Go to the K-01 section in this forum to see some recent discussion.
02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As a backup body, I would get the K-01.

I own both K10D and K-01.
Since I got the K-01, K10D is been sitting on the shelf ... thinking seriously on selling it or giving it away (since is not in mint condition).
02-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

After receiving my K5, I cancelled K-01 (Amazon) order. My main concern was its lack of view finder. How will you use zoom lenses with K01 with no view-finder? I thought that might be a little awkward to hold. K100D is my second camera (even though I don't really need a second camera as I am an amateur hobbyist still learning photography). I like the colors from K100D's CCD Sensor - very very true to life colors, indeed.
02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
After receiving my K5, I cancelled K-01 (Amazon) order. My main concern was its lack of view finder. How will you use zoom lenses with K01 with no view-finder? I thought that might be a little awkward to hold. K100D is my second camera (even though I don't really need a second camera as I am an amateur hobbyist still learning photography). I like the colors from K100D's CCD Sensor - very very true to life colors, indeed.
Sounds like the event (a parade) is something with a lot of people, possibly kids I assume - the K-01 is going to be a more disarming option that might get you photos that a large dslr plastered to your face might not net!

02-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick responses. A few things have been mentioned that I didn't consider previously. I am really grateful for your responses. I have not decided yet, but I will be updating my pro/con list when I get off work today.
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i agree with adam, but in addition also note that in some areas the CCD of the K10 still is better (especially at ISO 100 in my opiinion ) to the C mos sensors of later cameras,
Would you mind elaborating on that? (I'm just looking for any reason to feel better about having a K10D and no permission from SWMBO to get a nice new K5) I can see the noise even at ISO 100 and the lack of dynamic range also bugs me. So what's the upside?
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
Would you mind elaborating on that? (I'm just looking for any reason to feel better about having a K10D and no permission from SWMBO to get a nice new K5) I can see the noise even at ISO 100 and the lack of dynamic range also bugs me. So what's the upside?
There have been comparison done between CCDS and CMOS sensors and while CMOS is clearly the high ISO area, there is a lot of support that the low ISO quality of the K10D is better than that of the CMOS sensor based cameras. I agree the Dynamic range of the K10D is minuscule at best, but when you nail the exposure the shots have a differs look than those from a CMos sensor.

I by simple rule, never sell off old gear, so I still have and use my *istD, K10D, as well as the K7D and K5D.

Although the K 10D may lack dynamic range and perhaps as a result is too contrasts, it pairs up very nicely with lower contrast producing legacy lenses. It has my M42 adaptor permanently attached. (I have something line 19 M42 lenses to use with it)

Fr the record. I alsonstillnshoot my *istD because it supports TTL flash so I can do flash photography with legacy (non A) lenses