Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Slight damage to K-30, plastic cover for pop-up flash, anywhere to get a new one?

Hey everybody, I dropped my K-30 a little while ago while putting my trust in the wrong inanimate objects rather than the supreme force of gravity.

Anyway, seemed to be that I got away with very little the damage. The only things affected were the little cap that slides into the hotshoe (don't care at all) and it also snapped a part of the plastic covering the pop-up flash. Every time I'd try to pop it up, the plastic at the end where it pivots would not slide underneath, and would prevent the flash from extending up properly.

Anyway, I took it apart and glued the damn thing together, and it worked fine. The problem I found though, is that this compromises the weather sealing (or at least seems to). When I threw on my 18-135 zoom and zoomed in and out, I would hear air moving through the area where the crack was.

So anyway, I was wondering if I could purchase a brand new piece of plastic, just like that one. It's pretty easy to replace, I'd just like to know if Pentax sells replacement parts like these to consumers. Do I just email and ask, or do I have to find out a part number or something like that?

02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cover it with black electrical tape. Vinyl will keep water out, won't cost more than 63 cents, and looks somewhat decent.
02-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Cover it with black electrical tape. Vinyl will keep water out, won't cost more than 63 cents, and looks somewhat decent.
I would, but the problem is if I stick anything on top of the wound, it'll just make the pop-up flash unable to pop up.

Here's a picture of the damaged area: http://i.imgur.com/WaO4yqu.jpg

Right after the horrific accident, part of the plastic bit stuck out which meant it couldn't slide into that position. Gluing it back into place worked, but clearly not well enough.
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Then either work around it, or deal with an expensive repair. Tape should still work, assuming you're able to work with it at weird angles.

02-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Then either work around it, or deal with an expensive repair. Tape should still work, assuming you're able to work with it at weird angles.
They don't sell little plastic parts like that? The entirety of the black plastic that's on the pop-up flash is removable; I found that out when I glued that bit back together. All it'd take is a new one to just stick on and screw in. Could it really cost that much?
02-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The best case scenario with repairs is that you would be without your camera for a few weeks.
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
The best case scenario with repairs is that you would be without your camera for a few weeks.
No no, I mean like, ordering just that little piece of plastic to be delivered to me so that I can just stick it on there myself.

02-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They won't send out parts. Not even a lens release button.
02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Do you know this for sure?

That sucks. I guess I could see their side, discouraging users from messing with the cameras at home and potentially destroying everything, but in a case like mine it's just downright silly.
02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just do a search on the forums for all the missing lens release buttons.
02-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JesterPrime Quote
No no, I mean like, ordering just that little piece of plastic to be delivered to me so that I can just stick it on there myself.
Looking at the picture (or rather the link) you posted and at my K-30, I don't see any gaskets/sealing around the the area of the pop-up flash.

Based on that it seems to me that if you are hearing air leakage from there while zooming, there may be a seal somewhere else that is damaged and allowing air to escape to the area of the flash. My guess is that replacing the flash cover won't restore any weather resistant properties as I don't think that bit was sealed to begin with.

Regards
02-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The usual air release area is the microphone port(At least on the k5) and the SD slot.
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
You're right. I kept thinking, is that really what's letting air through? But figured it was the only thing that could.

Then I remembered that the little black thing to adjust the diopter broke off as well (maybe from the impact, or something else. I do take care of this thing, don't get the wrong idea, it was just an accident!).

http://i.imgur.com/9fYkRnz.jpg

How I didn't put something so obvious together, I don't know.

Anyway, I guess this won't have any problems with the electrical tape treatment. I'm guessing they wouldn't sell this little piece of plastic either? Maybe I could make something myself, all it has to do is grip the little metal bit in the hole and shift it left and right. Or just leave it in the middle, tape it, and forget about it.
02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We've all had one of those "oops forgot about gravity" moments... mine was my K-r getting knocked off a table onto the floor... bent the fliter enough that removing it was a challenge and a couple scuffs on the body...

Regards
02-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Gravity is why Mag. Alloy bodies like the K-5 exist, it's not pro-grade because it does anything better than plastic performance wise, it just withstands moments of "Derp" and "Herpa-De-Derp-a-doo" better.