Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Do you find the new firmware makes K5 better focusing?

I upgraded from 1.02.

Some ppl online says they get focusing boosted after upgrade. But I feel there is no difference. I am using DA50-135 and FA 31

What is your experience?

02-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruoyun.huang Quote
I upgraded from 1.02.

Some ppl online says they get focusing boosted after upgrade. But I feel there is no difference. I am using DA50-135 and FA 31

What is your experience?
The only firmware updates that include focusing improvements are the K-01's 1.01 and the Q's 1.10. All of the other releases address bugs only. I think that people think that their AF is faster because they initially don't realize that the K-5 is actually quite fast to begin with given all of the complaints about AF on the forum

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The focusing is as is on the K-5. Any perceived improvement is due to placebo effect. Agree with Adam on that one.
Want faster AF in low light? The K-5 II is available.
02-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that people think that their AF is faster because they initially don't realize that the K-5 is actually quite fast to begin with given all of the complaints about AF on the forum
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The focusing is as is on the K-5. Any perceived improvement is due to placebo effect
I cannot agree on above. It may be your case but not mine. I am thinking if there are some difference between production batches of K5. Previous firmware version of my K5 is 1.13. Now updated to 1.14 and the AF performance is noticeably improved.

I think the usage of such psychological effects/terms cannot prove the facts ... !

02-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just updated and I can't notice difference. But I believe that in order to prove the improved autofocus, you have to do a very comprehensive and accurate test, before and after updating the firmware. The best way to do this I think is by recording it on video.
02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, either placebo effect, or poor settings are reset after update.
02-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

This forum is for discussing the photography. The experiences, feels or thoughts on the photography and related matter are touched ... who can prove? The most critical matter is not to quickly jump to a conclusion ... especially it touches an ability, mental, psychological aspects!

I like this forum since the members are really want to help/discuss with each other ... of course not on the people!

02-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #8

There is no difference, at least in very low light. At first I tried with two K-5's, one with 1.13 and one with 1.14 and didn't see any difference with Sigma 50-150/2.8 HSM lens. DA* 16-50/2.8 SDM otherwise FELT that it would lock VERY LITTLE bit faster with 1.14 but could also be just a feeling. These I tested inside. Then I went shooting horse sports with 1.14 version (Sigma 50-150/2.8 HSM and very low light) and the focusing was as reliable/unreliable as before (settings were 1/320, F2.8, ISO 10000). So, no difference. And in good light the difference would be impossible to notice as K-5 focuses fast enough.
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FW update did change AF on my K-5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The focusing is as is on the K-5. Any perceived improvement is due to placebo effect. Agree with Adam on that one.
Want faster AF in low light? The K-5 II is available.
Although not mentioned, this update changes AF performance on my K-5. 77 and 43 AF in daylight and indoor might be better? I am not sure about that. But AF on Tamron 28-75 has problem after updating. It need AF fine adjusting before (1.12), but worked well after adjusting, both ends of zoom, same adjusting. Now wide ends needs +6-8 further adjusting than 75mm end.
Sigma 30/1.4 also needs different AF turning. my feeling is it is more constant after re-calibrate, when focuses at close and far.
So I believe the new FW does change the AF calculation, directly or indirectly. Better or worse, case by case.
02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have not noticed a difference nor an improvement with my AF ... J
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What is AF!?
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well I have noticed that mine Da17-70 stopped hunting and is locking focus now, but af speed seems to be same as before.....might be a coincidence, but also the result of firmware upgrade - i dont know