Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

is k10d the right update for me?!?!

hello to all pentaxians, i've recently started wedding photography. i love my k100d but it comes a little short for weddings...the worst thing is it's buffer and then the fact that you have to wait half an hour to see your photo on the lcd screen...or that full charged batteries sometimes die...i want to update to k10d because i have some good lenses and because i love pentax.
can any one tell me if this update will solve this problems or not
thanks

02-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, the Pentax advertising literature and website should answer most of your questions. The processor and image buffer on the K10D are quick enough to allow you to shoot at 3-fps, in JPEG format, until the memory card is full (or nine Raw images before the frame rate slows somewhat). Images appear on the rear display nearly instantly.

The battery is strong enough to handle roughly 500-600 JPEG images before recharging. And, if you purchase the optional battery grip, you can use either one or two batteries (one in camera, one in grip, or both). Some decide to use two batteries, while others choose only one battery in the grip alone since that one is so easily changed (pull out tray, replace battery, reinsert tray).

stewart
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of us will agree the K10D is a significant upgrade from the K100D. Similar feel and build, but just more versatility. I've done the same upgrade recently and can vouch for the advantage of going K10D.

Weddings, yep, buffer and write speed are important issues that the K100D limits considerably. But overall the K100D is a great performer. My upgrade has just made me feel more comfortable going the distance with the grip, extra battery and extra megapixels for enlargements.

I've done a couple of weddings on the K100D and haven't been disappointed at all with its performance. Went the whole way through one, filling up 7GB of RAW pictures without having to change batteries, and most pictures didn't need to be taken in very quick succession to block viewing/further picture taking. But I can see how it can be an issue in other instances.

The decision is yours...
02-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
speed is a funny thing. when I only had an *istD, the wait didn't bother me at all (compared to the 2 hour minimum on my PZ-1 assuming I was close to a store)

Now that I have a K10D (I shoot JPEG max resolution) when I pick up my *istD I wonder why it takes so long

02-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks guys, you've been a big help... i have read doc and reviews but i allways prefer to ask on forums as the information is more onest.
02-24-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Florin, Stewart explained about any wait that would happen. Can you explain more about the half hour wait time to see photo on the LCD. That is just bizare to me. Maybe you have a bad camera? good luck and I love teh K10. Heck if you have a few extra bucks and are seriously into the weddings. Maybe think about the K20. good luck
02-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both, and do not regret "upgrading" to the K10D! I would definitely by the grip and the extra battery along with the camera!

02-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi vievetrick, i'm sorry...i didn't mean it literally...it just takes a lot of time...time that sametimes i really don't have. i really am serious about wedding photography but the k20d is just too expensive for me.

thanks for your reply
02-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Florin,

Someone who's wanting to get out of Pentax has 2-K10 bodies for sale at $540 each on the Marketplace:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/21432-fs-k10d-...-16-50-da.html
That's a really good deal for bodies that have hardly been used. Think about it, you can have a K10 body for less than half the cost of a K20.

I've had mine for a little over a week now and I'm really liking it.

HTH,
Heather