Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Cameras, cheap Lenses

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the attached image is that it was shot with a 2003 Pentax K100d (approximately 40k "clicks"), and a Quantaray 400mm preset lens purchased from Ebay for $18, including postage. Additionally, the setup was easy: lens at f8, camera in manual, iso fixed at 400, shutter at 250/sec. I used a tripod because the shake reduction doesn't work with this lens/adapter. I was about 90 feet from the base of the tree, the eagle about 60 feet from the ground. This image may encourage some who cannot afford the latest camera and premium lenses to purchase what they can and go out and have fun

Attached Images

02-02-2013, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Marvelous.

I picked up a Hanimar 400mm/6.3 recently for a great price, but haven't really made use of it except for tests. Thanks for spreading the word, and sharing the image!

edit - just looked up your lens online, my Hanimar was made at the same place - wherever it is! I love the 16± aperture blades.
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
This image may encourage some who cannot afford the latest camera and premium lenses to purchase what they can and go out and have fun
+1 on this. I've had more slrs (film and digital) and lenses in the 20 years I've been in this hobby than my wife feels comfortable with. Only 2 bodies and 3 lenses were bought new. My first camera, a Konica slr, was around 15 years old when I got it. But no matter what I've had for equipment, it's been fun.
02-02-2013, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about the attached image is that it was shot with a 2003 Pentax K100d (approximately 40k "clicks"), and a Quantaray 400mm preset lens purchased from Ebay for $18, including postage. Additionally, the setup was easy: lens at f8, camera in manual, iso fixed at 400, shutter at 250/sec. I used a tripod because the shake reduction doesn't work with this lens/adapter. I was about 90 feet from the base of the tree, the eagle about 60 feet from the ground. This image may encourage some who cannot afford the latest camera and premium lenses to purchase what they can and go out and have fun
Great shots! Tripods are always a good idea, and shake reduction we are told shouldn't be used on a tripod. As far as SR not useable with that lens, are you able to enter the focal length manually for the SR? I know you can on the K10 and K5, I do it for several of my lenses, including a 80-200 and a 500mm mirror.

02-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photos! I have a K100D, great camera that I still use a lot. You should be able to manually input the focal length for SR. But ghazelton is correct, you need to disable SR when using a tripod anyway. (FWIW the K100D was introduced in 2006.)
02-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
My camera will ask for the focal length on my manual 50mm, but not on this one for some reason. I have looked through lots of forum posts and cannot find an answer, except that one post said something about a painted adapter not being recognized by the camera. If someone can provide an answer it would be appreciated.
02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My camera will ask for the focal length on my manual 50mm, but not on this one for some reason. I have looked through lots of forum posts and cannot find an answer, except that one post said something about a painted adapter not being recognized by the camera. If someone can provide an answer it would be appreciated.
Very odd. I've heard about paint causing other such problems. Sounds reasonable, and might be easy to check. I wonder if putting aluminum foil on the adapter where it would contact the mount contacts would check the theory without scraping off paint....

02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tried my Vivitar 135/2.8 on my K100D. It has a black anodized mount. I use this lens mostly with my *istD, which does not have SR. I've known for a long time that the focus confirmation doesn't work with this lens. After mounting it on the K100D - no focus confirmation, and it doesn't ask for FL setting for SR. I suppose it might be possible to sand off a small area of the mount to expose the bare metal. I'm hesitant to do it on my Vivitar, since it's in pristine condition & hope to keep it that way. Maybe someone with some experience with this will chime in.
02-03-2013, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #9

+1

When comparing the cost of old vs new, its almost amazing what can be done with <$200 - 6yr old Pentax - 20yr old lenses. It makes me wonder how much really is in the marketing. My 7yr old DSLR still out performs my brand new point and shoot that's double the megapixels and light years beyond in firmware.
02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
+1

When comparing the cost of old vs new, its almost amazing what can be done with <$200 - 6yr old Pentax - 20yr old lenses. It makes me wonder how much really is in the marketing. My 7yr old DSLR still out performs my brand new point and shoot that's double the megapixels and light years beyond in firmware.
Great pictures, I have a lot of old manual lenses, they're a joy to use.