Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

New, K-30 or K-5?

I have yet to get a DSLR. I've been doing my homework and I decided a couple of months ago to get the K30. Now I see I can get the K5 II with 18-135 for $300 more. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on either one to see which I prefer(at least not easily).

Should I spend the $300 on the K5 II or get the K30 and save the $300 for lenses I'm thinking about?

02-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JerD Quote
I have yet to get a DSLR. I've been doing my homework and I decided a couple of months ago to get the K30. Now I see I can get the K5 II with 18-135 for $300 more. Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on either one to see which I prefer(at least not easily).

Should I spend the $300 on the K5 II or get the K30 and save the $300 for lenses I'm thinking about?
Depends on what you need! The K-5 II has slightly better image quality (thanks to 14-bit RAW), more external buttons, a bigger continuous buffer, and support for a battery grip. The K-30 has faster overall performance, manual video controls, improved live view AF and plus focus peaking.

I'm sure you've already read the review, but if not, then a comparison is performed here:
Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd usually say get the K-30 and keep it until you've spent a few times the cost of the body on lenses. Then you can see if you need a better body, and upgrade it if so. Either way you'll end up with a good set of lenses, which is the more important part.

Unless you have immediate or special needs for a K-5 II/IIs, this is a good strategy, since bodies depreciate rapidly anyway. The K-30 is already cheap enough (relatively speaking) that there's less for the value to fall. By the time you're ready to upgrade, there may be new models and a new market situation. There's a good chance the price of a new K-5 II will drop even more than the value of your K-30 over that time period.

Last edited by DSims; 02-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a hard time holding on to gear...but I would say get the K-30 and spend the money on some primes. I love my K-5 but since I have BBA (body buying addiction) I have debated over the past month or so whether to get the K-5IIs, but my wife's voice keeps filtering through my brain so I don't do it. Perhaps in the Spring?

02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One easily noticeable difference between the two is the shutter sound. K30 is loud (pretty close to that of K100D) and the sound is very very damped on K-5 (and hence K-5 II). If you want to take pictures in quieter places (indoor) or wild life, K-5 or K-5 II might be a better choice.

Now that K-5 II price is falling I would consider K-5 II over anything else. K-5 being the older model is cheaper too (K-5 with 18-135 SDM lens is cheaper than a similar K30 kit). K-5 II has focus peaking which is very helpful with manual lenses. I saw some intoxicating sharp images from K-5 IIs (Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Aperture vs Resolution) but the moire when it occurs could be disturbing.