Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100d or K10d?

I've been a Pentax film user for quite a while but I feel it's time to get digital. I promised a friend to be the photographer at her wedding(it's going to be in a few months) and I need to get a new camera to suit this event, plus I've lost all my equipment except some some manual focus lenses .
My photographing style is:
-I hate to use the flash(don't ask me why :ugh and I do a lot of interior shots
-never use the burst mode and speed is not really an issue for me
-only shot in raw
-in average I check 1/10 images to see if I got the settings right
-I'm pretty good at post processing
-99,99% of my shots are with people at 3-15 feet distance
-I don't mind to do a little cropping
And my needs are:
-the highest IMAGE QUALITY possible considering the conditions above
-I never print larger than 8x12" (or 20x30 cm), but most of the times the prints are 6x8"
-my budget id kinda limited to 1500$ including one or two lens
-I have 5 months to get the camera so the K20d may be an option until then
I'd really appreciate any advice about what camera would better suit my needs.

Last edited by quantum; 02-24-2008 at 04:48 AM.
02-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #2

I think since you will be using the camera in a formal setting and you are a seasoned photographer, the K10D will not only give you better image quality to a certain extent but more features along with it. At the price at which it is now, I think the K10D is a much better deal than the K100D. I have both of them and in the end I think either of them will do an exceptional job in just about any setting but I prefer the K10D even though I use the K100D more often since not only is it more compact but I dont have to worry about it as much as the k10D. So they both have their own benefits in the end.
02-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I just got to play with both k100d and k10d and I have to say I really liked the feel of k10d. If the price of k20d or gx20 doesn't drop significantly in the next 4 months that k10d will have my name written on it. Until then I'll have to join the P&S gang .
02-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

awesome! yeah the feel of the k10D is significantly better than the k100d specially if you have large hands but it in itself feels alot more solid but yeah hope all goes well and the prices keep on dropping.

02-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Even my smallish hands like the feel of the K10. One thing I remember reading when the reviews on the K10 came out is that it's "built like a tank".

I know you're wanting to wait to see if the K20's price will drop some before buying, but since you want to use this body for a wedding, you don't want to cut yourself too short in giving yourself time to get used to it and how it works before the wedding. If you check out the Marketplace you can pick up a gently used one for less than half the price of a new K20--one guy has 2 K10 bodies he wants to get rid of at $540 each. Later, if you decide you want the K20, you can wait until the price really drops and either keep the K10 as a backup body or sell it at that point.

HTH,
Heather
02-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
since you want to use this body for a wedding, you don't want to cut yourself too short in giving yourself time to get used to it and how it works before the wedding
I'm lucky to have a friend who just happens to own 2 k10d's and some serious lens and he's willing to lend me one for a while so this isn't really a problem. Also, the k20d is 1600USD in my country and until it's time I think it may just get cheap enough to get it together with a 50mm f/1.4 and a good focusing screen, witch combined with some other manual focus lens should be enough for a while.
I should also mention I'm not a pro photographer so I don't make money from it but I started to get serious about photography since I was 11 and I got my first SLR.
Did i forgot to tell you I'm now working on a master's thesis (I'm not good enough to express this en english so it may sound funny or senseless ) regarding how to express emotions by different using of lights (it's related to pencil drawing) and this kinda eats all my financial resources. I don't know why I'm doing it since I work as a programmer (and I really like it) and will continue to do so a pretty long while , but hey... you can't order your hart what to do.