Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

K-x vs K-r

Hi, I have been considering a K-x and noticed the K-r is near the same price.
I checked them on snapsort.com and the K-r won out of the 2, so now I am considering possibly going for the K-r over the K-x if it would be the better choice.
Pentax K-r vs K-x - Our Analysis

Which camera would be overall better to go with for a beginner, the K-x or the K-r? (and why?)

Thanks.

02-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, now they are almost the same price. K-r is a no-brainer, better live view.
02-04-2013, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owned both. The advantages listed in that review are all fouled up.

The differences in reality are realtively few

K-r has focus point displayed in the viewfinder - K-x does not
K-r has higher ISO performance
JPG is a bit faster in K-r (not meaningfully better IMHO)
Higher pixel count on the LCD screen

The K-x does not have the problems focusing in normal indoor room light (Tungsten) like the K-r and takes AA batteries natively (the K-r can but needs an adapter).

The prices listed are absurd because both are discontinued and finding a BNIB copy of either means its an old one that has sat on a shelf. I sold my K-x recently for <$300 in excellent shape. The K-rs are going for around $350.
02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-rs are going for around $350.
There are 2 K-r's now in the marketplace that are not selling for $300.

02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Prices do fluctuate. The last two that I know of that sold were in great shape and went for $300-350.
02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have owned both. The advantages listed in that review are all fouled up.

The differences in reality are realtively few

K-r has focus point displayed in the viewfinder - K-x does not
K-r has higher ISO performance
JPG is a bit faster in K-r (not meaningfully better IMHO)
Higher pixel count on the LCD screen

The K-x does not have the problems focusing in normal indoor room light (Tungsten) like the K-r and takes AA batteries natively (the K-r can but needs an adapter).

The prices listed are absurd because both are discontinued and finding a BNIB copy of either means its an old one that has sat on a shelf. I sold my K-x recently for <$300 in excellent shape. The K-rs are going for around $350.
So, due to the focusing indoors problem with the K-r, the K-x is likely the better choice?
and where were you a little while ago when I had my wanted posting for a K-x? the cheapest I was offered was $325, lol.
Does anyone sell K-x's with high shutter counts? I would be ok with 50k if the price was low.
02-04-2013, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by CircaM Quote
So, due to the focusing indoors problem with the K-r, the K-x is likely the better choice?
and where were you a little while ago when I had my wanted posting for a K-x? the cheapest I was offered was $325, lol.
Does anyone sell K-x's with high shutter counts? I would be ok with 50k if the price was low.
I don't think you'll notice those AF problems much (plus who knows, maybe the latest firmware fixed it). I'd go for the newer camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-04-2013, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

I owned both in their time. The newer features felt like a good reason to step up to the k-r, but in this case the camera's feel changed subtly as well. I found the k-x fit my hand better, and I missed it. I've moved on, but it's worth holding them (find a nearby user group if you can) as the feel in hand would have led me to keep the k-x. Others might go the other way of course - it's a personal choice.

02-04-2013, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-r has a bit faster frames per second (~6) for continuous shooting, and LiveView focusing is much faster. I've used both in low light, and honestly, once I got used to the K-r and had a feel for when it might have AF problems, I didn't have a problem with it.
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

To be fair, one of the best things that the k-r has over the k-x is those illuminated viewfinder points. Where I've found them tremendously useful is in low-light shooting when i don't know where my center AF point is exactly. It might not seem like a big thing, but I shoot in low-light a lot.
02-04-2013, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The K-r is probably the better choice in every respect, except that some people prefer the looks of the K-x. And not all K-r have zomg terrible AF problems. I wouldn't worry about that.
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
I bought one for $312, body only, from the marketplace, just a few months ago. Paypal fees and shipping included. I thought it was a really great price. The seller said that he got a lot of offers just behind mine. Around 10,000 clicks and red.

I thought the rear LCD upgrade in the K-r was worth getting. A lot of the other differences are incremental, nice to have but not essential. I thought the interval timer was a useful addition. When it comes down to today's price, you might only pay $50 more for the K-r, I think worth it.

There were enough complaints about the K-r's incandescent AF that I checked it out. This camera was OK. I don't know what that means for the rest.
02-04-2013, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I Have the K-r and my son has the K-x. Both great cameras but we both think mine is the better one. I have been nothing but thrilled with the K-r. A great camera. The focus 'issues' argument have brought resale down so take advantage of that.
02-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Or just buy a K-01 with 40mm XS. Not a DSLR, but cheap and great.