Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So if you want a Pentax DA*400 f5.6 at $1000 it's never going to happen.
I think that is the hope of a lot of people since the Canon equivalent is ~$1100. Personally I probably wouldn't buy it just because I have the Tokina. The Pentax version (if it ever happens) would have to have much better IQ then the Tokina, weather sealing and SDM wouldn't be reason enough to upgrade. Now if they ever made a 400 f/4 I would jump on that, as long as it was much less expensive then the Sigma 500 f/4.5... but this is just all wishful thinking and speculation

02-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree and It would be nice if they did produce a 400mm f5.6 close to the Canon price but I suspect it will be closer to $1299 or more. Now an f4 at a decent price would have a lot of interest I think but I suspect it would be much more. Canon's EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM is about $5000. Also Nikon's 200-400mm f4 is around $5000 and the 80-400 f4.5-5.6 is $1500. So this longer glass is expensive from everyone.
02-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I agree and It would be nice if they did produce a 400mm f5.6 close to the Canon price but I suspect it will be closer to $1299 or more. Now an f4 at a decent price would have a lot of interest I think but I suspect it would be much more. Canon's EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM is about $5000. Also Nikon's 200-400mm f4 is around $5000 and the 80-400 f4.5-5.6 is $1500. So this longer glass is expensive from everyone.

Yeah, it is all wishful thinking . The Sigma 500 f/4.5 is only 3,729.95 from sigma4less (in C or N mounts, no price listed for Pentax), so that might really be the best price/performance lens for people wanting something long and fast at a "reasonable" price.

Random question, does anyone know how much the FA* 400 f/5.6 went for when it was new?
02-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

PhotoSig's web site lists it as $1799.99 but they don't list any supporting info on the lens or price. But for a 5.6 that seems reasonable.
Pentax SMCP-FA 400mm f/5.6 ED(IF) Reviews

02-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with a lot of what Eaglerapids has said. Although I'm not a wildlife photographer, and 300mm is usually all I need, I, like Eaglerapids, am disgusted with the Pentax used market.

My problem is actually the opposite of everyone's here: I want fast short glass! Anyone around here tried to get a 24mm f/2 lately...? The FA* version is around $1200 on eBay. I don't even want/need autofocus, but Vivitars from the 70's routinely go for over $200. If that's the case, then I'll just pick up a new Sigma 24mm f/1.8 for $340. But the point of all this is that I want to give my money to Pentax, but Pentax won't let me. The DA Ltd. 21mm is only f/3.2, which is nowhere near fast enough for me. If I'm spending big bucks on a prime lens, I want two things from it: IQ and speed. I know the DA Ltds. are small, but that is a compromise I am not willing to make. Could they not make 2 versions of the Ltds.? One that is small and slow, and one that is larger and faster; that way each person can choose the one that suits his/her needs. As they stand, none of the Ltds. are of any use to me because they're all way too slow.

OK, rant over.

(It's just that I'm not happy with giving my money to Sigma for a product, prime lenses, that Pentax is renowned for.)
02-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Could they not make 2 versions of the Ltds.? One that is small and slow, and one that is larger and faster; that way each person can choose the one that suits his/her needs. As they stand, none of the Ltds. are of any use to me because they're all way too slow.
hopefully the new DA* 55 and 30 will be what you're looking for in the "fast limited"
i can't believe how small the pancakes are, it's great
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Here you go, guys, this should turn out pretty cheap...NOT!
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
hopefully the new DA* 55 and 30 will be what you're looking for in the "fast limited"
Nope, I need 24mm, maybe 20mm. 30mm is way too long. There is nothing on the current lens roadmap to suit my needs.

What's an Arsenal supporter doing in Canadia???

02-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well that 300 turned out to be a very good deal $793.60. Some days Ebay baffles me but then maybe with new glass coming this year and people saving for K20D's the higher priced market is getting ignored.

I get your point on fast wide lenses. but I think there are choices albeit a bit pricey, 14mm, 31mm, 35mm?
02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by palmor Quote
Random question, does anyone know how much the FA* 400 f/5.6 went for when it was new?
Just after it was discontinued, it was going for $2200 CAD new (about two years before parity). And while I doubt a new DA version of the lens would be that much, I suspect it'll still be priced higher than the DA* 300 by at least $200.
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well that 300 turned out to be a very good deal $793.60. Some days Ebay baffles me but then maybe with new glass coming this year and people saving for K20D's the higher priced market is getting ignored.

Wow, that went relatively cheap! Its not a 2.8 but certainly a nice piece of glass.
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Son of a biscuit, a F* 300/4.5 for less than $800, and I missed it, didn't see the listing on Ebay. This is good news, though. If you're a buyer. I think I'd rather have the F* over the FA* just for the tripod mount. Is this an anomaly or are we seeing the beginning of some sanity on F's and FA's prices with the DA* 300/4 coming? I would be sorely tempted if I could find a F* 300/4.5 for $700, then I'd have enough left over to consider a limited lens.
02-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Nope, I need 24mm, maybe 20mm. 30mm is way too long. There is nothing on the current lens roadmap to suit my needs.

What's an Arsenal supporter doing in Canadia???
i agree, it'd be nice if they had a 24mm F2 again ... the only lenses available would be those sigma primes, but they weigh as much as a brick and they're not pentax so even less of a reason to buy

there are quite a few arsenal supporters here and there ... i admit i jumped on the bandwagon after watching Henry, but i follow "football" very closely now, not just arsenal
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Used vs. new

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Son of a biscuit, a F* 300/4.5 for less than $800, and I missed it, didn't see the listing on Ebay. This is good news, though. If you're a buyer. I think I'd rather have the F* over the FA* just for the tripod mount. Is this an anomaly or are we seeing the beginning of some sanity on F's and FA's prices with the DA* 300/4 coming? I would be sorely tempted if I could find a F* 300/4.5 for $700, then I'd have enough left over to consider a limited lens.
I hear you, Eaglerapids. That's a sound argument. For myself, though, the DA* 300mm f/4 is worth the wait, and the extra money, for a couple of reasons. One, it's going to be a smidge faster, always helpful to the AF system. Two, I think buying new, reasonably fast, long glass will help encourage Pentax to get even more product into the pipeline over the next couple of years, moreso than supporting the resale value of discontinued product. (Gotta be strategic with smaller companies that are trying to rebuild a competitive position against much larger firms.)

These are some of the reasons why the DA* 300mm is at the top of my LBA list right now (the DA* 200mm is in second place.) Would I still rather have a 100-400mm f/4 or faster Pentax zoom?...(pant, pant)...oh, yeah.
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'll see your rant, and raise you 10!

It'd be nice if you could get some LONG constant aperture tele zooms in PK mount, preferably full frame! I'd like to see the 250-600 F5.6 made again (maybe with some design updates). I'd also like to see Pentax/Hoya give Sigma a goose (maybe some payola) to get some of Sigma's top-notch lenses made in PK mount that aren't made in PK mount now (or maybe some weather sealed PK badged versions). Sigmonster, anyone? ::drool:: 300-800 F5.6!! The perfect long zoom to stack over the 100-300 F4 or (again, IF they made it in PK mount) the 120-300 F2.8. Pentax is supposed to be coming out with a "professional" level dSLR soon, but it's not going to mean much without any long-reach pro-level zooms to use on it.

The long zooms available in PK unfortunately speak legions about how 3rd party lens makers view Pentax - as an also-ran. Nothing but slow, variable aperture crapola (HIGHLY irritating to use on my film bodies, since I use hand held meters and aperture is set on the lens rather than on the body).

I'm seriously considering a Canon outfit for no other reason than exactly this - lens availability (and impatience waiting for a FF dSLR isn't helping matters). Don't even need any Canon lenses (in fact, don't want them, because the damn zoom rings turn in the OPPOSITE direction of the Sigma zoom rings, a major pet peeve of mine - can't we get some standards on that kind of sh!t??). Even the few actuallly made in PK mount are invariably introduced after the other mounts and/or chronically "out of stock" or "backordered." :ugh:

As for all this "digital only" (APS-C only) glass, none of it interests me in the least. I have film bodies I use as well, and I have no interest in carrying lenses I can't use with both. :ugh: