Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enough with the new bodies, give me some lenses!

With all the talk about jumping from this brand to that brand, and this camera is better than that camera, high iso noise, low light AF, etc. etc...... Lets face it, every manufacturer is making top notch stuff. I would like to own one of each The only factor that will ever get me to jump ship from Pentax is the lens availability and selection. It really irritates me to see all the sweet glass, used and new, that ALL the other brands have available. Instead, we have to fight over a used lens on ebay and pay twice as much as the same glass in another mount. OR when I see used glass for sale ,even on this forum, for 10-20 dollars less than brand new????? Heaven forbid someone points it out and gets reprimanded by a moderator. I guess I'm a little frustrated and just wish the 3rd party lens makers would at least include our mount in their line-up, even if it were limited quantities. After all, Pentax is making some serious DSLR's, sure wish they would notice. Sorry about the rant, delete this if it's inappropriate.

02-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What reknelb said.
02-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #3

How about some examples? Do you mean stuff like FA* 85/1.4 or any of the FA* and A* discontinued glass? I'm not sure what you mean, because I don't see any shortage of Pentax glass, except at the long end, and that's about to change.
02-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, speaking for myself, I want the DA* 300/4 and I'm just getting impatient. I have the money but I really have a hard time justifying the cost of this lens. I'm tired of the inner battle of whether or not this is the best use of my money. I know it isn't, I'm not a good enough photographer to warrant such high end glass. If I had a chance to make one nickel with this lens it would be a no brainer, but I know I won't. The longer they wait getting the lens out, the longer I fight this battle and it makes me cranky.

02-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Well, speaking for myself, I want the DA* 300/4 and I'm just getting impatient. I have the money but I really have a hard time justifying the cost of this lens. I'm tired of the inner battle of whether or not this is the best use of my money. I know it isn't, I'm not a good enough photographer to warrant such high end glass. If I had a chance to make one nickel with this lens it would be a no brainer, but I know I won't. The longer they wait getting the lens out, the longer I fight this battle and it makes me cranky.
I'm just confused about what lens you would buy from another manufacturer? At 300mm, Canon, Nikon and everybody else has f4.0 lenses that are about the same amount of money. Most have faster lenses in this range, yes. But for the dollar, the Pentax is pretty close to other 300mm f4.0's. If you want to spend less for a pentax lens at 300mm... hold out for the new 55-300mm zoom. ??
02-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I kinda have to agree with the lens shortage...

I love my cameras, no regrets from making a switch from Canon, extremely happy that Pentax is getting their name firmly in DSLR market and new models of K200D and K20D are indeed great news. But, glass...

Oh the glass... Yes, I know, tons of manual prime lenses are out there, limiteds are fine pieces, sure, no question! But, what about lenses for sports and wild life???

No, new 60-250mm is not going to cut it for me: 250mm is too short and f4 is too slow for use with TC if I needed a longer reach... DA*300 F4 - surely, would be a nice lens, but again, would not buy it for wild life or sports, I favor a zoom for such shots... And there is really nothing else on the map

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
How about some examples? Do you mean stuff like FA* 85/1.4 or any of the FA* and A* discontinued glass? I'm not sure what you mean, because I don't see any shortage of Pentax glass, except at the long end, and that's about to change.
Longer end indeed!!! Lenses I believe many would favor would be * grade 70/80-200 f2.8, 100-300 f4, 100-400 f4 with SDM, but FASTER than the current SDM, fast focus for sport is a must.

Additionally, 24-105 F4 would be a perfect walk around glass as Canon has, and would pretty much remain on one of my cameras 90% of the time (just dreaming)

With that in mind, I'm holding on to my savings for Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or 100-300 f4 (if they'll make it with HSM for us)...

Just my $0.2

Regards,
D
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote
I'm just confused about what lens you would buy from another manufacturer? At 300mm, Canon, Nikon and everybody else has f4.0 lenses that are about the same amount of money. Most have faster lenses in this range, yes. But for the dollar, the Pentax is pretty close to other 300mm f4.0's. If you want to spend less for a pentax lens at 300mm... hold out for the new 55-300mm zoom. ??
Oh no, I'm not complaining about the cost of the PENTAX lens per se. After my experiences trying to capture the eagles this winter as well as some other creatures with my Sigma 70-300, compared to pictures taken with the FA* lenses, I will not be happy with anything lesser. I've bought a lot of used lenses in the last year that I'm very happy with. They are all mostly Taks, M's and A's. But to get the quality I seek in a telephoto, I want a Pentax and I want a high end lens. All the used F* and FA* lenses I've seen on Ebay go for $1000. People in our marketplace want even more. I don't think these used lenses are worth that much, at least not to me. I can afford to spend $100 on a used lens and get a lemon (not that that has happened), but I did spend over $200 on one lens that I wasn't that pleased with. I can't afford to chance $1000. For the weather sealing, SDM, and quick shift features of the DA* plus the fact that it will be shiny new, I'm willing to go another $300. But where is it? How long have we been promised it?
Once I spend the money, it's gone and I won't worry about it anymore, but this interminable wait is getting to me:-). And as I say, in the meantime, I sit here worrying about spending that much money on a lens.

Do you see what I mean? I love my Pentax stuff and I will stick with it come hell or high water. My point is that I would have the same worries if I was shooting Nikon but at least I could order the damn lens today and be done with it!

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 02-24-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: more thoughts
02-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of short and midrange glass for Pentax. From what I have seen, it looks to be the fast telephoto/supertelephoto spectrum that doesn't have enough glass for us Pentax users. Granted, there will be the DA* 200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4 coming out, but that's been a long time coming.

I'm personally waiting for the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Macro and get a 1.4 or 2.0 TC. The estimated Price @ Adorama is $699, so i'm stoked about that...if that lens EVER comes out.
02-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think everyone here has the same concern. where is the long fast glass?

If we are following the initial roadmap then we are seriously lost.
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I kinda have to agree with the lens shortage...

No, new 60-250mm is not going to cut it for me: 250mm is too short and f4 is too slow for use with TC if I needed a longer reach... DA*300 F4 - surely, would be a nice lens, but again, would not buy it for wild life or sports, I favor a zoom for such shots... And there is really nothing else on the map.

Regards,
D
This is another huge worry I have with the *300/4. Will it be long enough. I agree with you for wildlife, is this long enough? I know deep down it may not be but what other choice? My thoughts have been running along the lines that the IQ will be so good that I will be able to crop, if I must. I really have no choice anyway. I will have to work around a slower lens, I'm not adverse at all to using my tripod and after the f5.6 at 300mm with my Sigma, f4 will feel fast. A 400mm *prime would be ideal but I doubt I'd be able to swing that deal. Any f2.8 telephoto is way out of my reach so that's not an option for me. Anyway, I'm sure Pentax will have a quality 1.4 or 1.7 TC available in a couple of years! (Best not to quote me on that one!)
02-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Like others have said its the long glass that is lacking, not even fast long. There is no new 400mm f/5.6 that you can buy for Pentax. Used ones (like my Tokina AT-X 400mm) now go for $650 on ebay where I bought mine for $450 less then a year ago.

Although if you have the money you can get the Sigma 300/f2.8 or the Sigma 500/f4.5 in Pentax mount. I would love to the have 500 f/4.5 but I don't have ~$4000 to spend on a single lens right now

John
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote

I should have been more specific, Long Fast Glass. My da70mm is on the way. There are alot of nice choices in the short to medium range for sure. I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 I would love to get a 300mm f2.8 , there just arent many choices, and the pentax glass is really expensive.
02-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Eaglerapids, sounds like Idaho winter cabin fever complication to a chronic LBA; a nasty affliction until one can get one's fixes of sunshine and long, fast glass! But I basically agree. Want a 100-400mm f/4 at least! Want it real soon now!

OK, OK...that's enough of that ...so, have you guys looked at the Sigma site since PMA? There seems to be a couple of new KAF2 mount HSM zooms that were announced...
02-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Eaglerapids, sounds like Idaho winter cabin fever complication to a chronic LBA; a nasty affliction until one can get one's fixes of sunshine and long, fast glass!
Lol, somebody understands:-)
02-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes Sigma. They do have a 300/2.8 that matched with a TC would give you the length and speed. Yes it's expensive but I had a quick look at Canon and Nikon offerings and they are in the same price range (a little more than the Sigma MSRP). There's also the 500mm f4.5 and the price is high here as well. But these are in line with the prices on the older FA* 300mm f2.8. Fast long glass will cost a lot from any source and these 2 are available.

Camera Canada has the Pentax 600mm available for special order (I think Pentax still makes these as needed) So it's there, too rich for my blood, but available.

So I'm not sure what the comments are about. There are a few lenses available. Maybe not from Pentax but there still are some Sigmas. They are expensive but always have been and will continue to be. The Sigma 100-300 f4 is reported to be excellent and has been around for quite a while. Then of course there's always the Bigma. So if you want a Pentax DA*400 f5.6 at $1000 it's never going to happen.