Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

K-30 & Lenses - what to look for

Hello All,

I'm starting to look for new lenses, but can't figure out the reasons why the K mount lenses are different. The Pentax site says k mount will work with an adaptor or limitations. What does this mean? Do I need an adaptor or will I not have auto focus (or something like that)?

I guess my question is, what lenses will work with my K-30.

Thank you.

02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

You will be able to use any K-mount lenses.
You can use M42/Screw mount lenses with the appropriate K-Mount adapter. You won't have AF with non AF lenses obviously, and with M lenses you won't have auto aperture, but any K-mount will mount straight on
02-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mlcinema Quote
Hello All,

I'm starting to look for new lenses, but can't figure out the reasons why the K mount lenses are different. The Pentax site says k mount will work with an adaptor or limitations. What does this mean? Do I need an adaptor or will I not have auto focus (or something like that)?

I guess my question is, what lenses will work with my K-30.

Thank you.
See here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Everything under the first 2 red headings will work w/o an adapter- that's hundreds of lenses!

See also:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Excellent. Thank you.

What does "The lens/body combination works with limitations in metering." mean with the yellow check circle? ( The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart )

02-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

If you are able to use manual focus lens. then get a M42 lens adaptor . Such as the Carl Zeiss 35mm 2.4 is a legend.
they are sharp and good color rendering for $ 250 approx. other M42 as well.
02-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Limitations in metering" means that you have to press a button.
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mlcinema Quote
Excellent. Thank you.

What does "The lens/body combination works with limitations in metering." mean with the yellow check circle? ( The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart )
The KAF2 mount in Pentax DSLRs is "crippled". This means that the aperture linkage that allowed K and M series lenses to communicate what aperture they were set to to the camera has been removed. The only way for the camera to get a meter reading with these lenses is to stop down the aperture so the meter can record how much light is coming through the lens. On the K-5 this can be done by pressing the power switch to the DoF preview position or pressing the Green Button. On the K-x / K-r you can press the Green button or the AV+/- button etc.
02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi!

Welcome to the forum. The database will guide you towards LBA.

Assumíng you have the kit lens, here are a few tips:
Any of the F-series lenses are a good buy (except maybe the F35-80), and can be had for a reasonable price.
The M-series 50/1.7 is very good and affordable, an alternative is the K-series 55/1.8 which is heavier and slightly larger. Should be had for 50-100 USD each.
If you want metering (overrated, the green button works fine) there is the A50/1.7, albeit slightly more expensive. These are manual lenses, but they will teach you the basics.

There is a cure for LBA, but neither public healthcare or any insurance will cover it.

Seb

02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for the info.