Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #1

Disassemble two K-01 and get one normal looking one?

Hi.

Does anyone know if the top part of the K-01 is disassembleble(?)?

Well I mean how hard can it be (for Pentax) to make the cameras look better like these?:

Attached Images

02-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
crs

God, I'd love a K-01. If only there were a VF for it. If only..
02-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Personally, I don't think they look 'better', just 'different'.
2) It would require significant disassembly and de-soldering wires to remove the flash housing.
3) The texture of the black paint on the flash housing is smooth, while that on the rest of the body is a slightly pebbled. The difference is more obvious in person. You would be better off getting a white or silver model, tearing it down, and painting the whole thing black. (Or pink! )
02-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There was a thread here when the K01 first came out by a guy that did a reassembly and got a new variant - a deep search of the forums may show it up...

02-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you're thinking of this article - all he did was swap the grips and strap lugs on a Bumblebee and a Pandatrooper (demo model).

Replacing the Pentax K-01 Grip | photographybanzai.com
02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can probably do it since the top plates are basically the same. I agree that swapping them would make the camera look better!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Theren was also a Photoshopped image of an all-black K-01 done here on the original (massive) K-01 thread (K-01 Images Here) that actually went viral. An Australian reseller actually posted it to a website as a legitimate camera for a few days.

IMHO the K-01 Black is as normal-looking as a camera comes - very close to my 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's black and silver SLR's (K, SV, H1a, KM, MESuper), The stovepipe is reminiscent of a Nikon F or F2. I don't think mine is any less well proportioned than a classic Nikon (bet NOBODY else has made THAT observation).

Do you think mark Newson did that on purpose?
02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
... The stovepipe is reminiscent of a Nikon F or F2. I don't think mine is any less well proportioned than a classic Nikon (bet NOBODY else has made THAT observation).

Do you think mark Newson did that on purpose?
Is not really the same thing as the Nikon F/F2 ... that round pipe stove like on Nikon is on top of the camera if I remember correctly ... and the reason for that was the enormous prism housing.

I bet Mark didn't even think about Nikon ... he probably though of furnaces in an industrial area rather than another camera ...

I've always thought that the K-01 looks more like a hobbit house ... big round entrance (with the familiar house shape behind it) and with the stove pipe on the side.

02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Is not really the same thing as the Nikon F/F2 ... that round pipe stove like on Nikon is on top of the camera if I remember correctly ... and the reason for that was the enormous prism housing.

I bet Mark didn't even think about Nikon ... he probably though of furnaces in an industrial area rather than another camera ...

I've always thought that the K-01 looks more like a hobbit house ... big round entrance (with the familiar house shape behind it) and with the stove pipe on the side.
Oh whatever. I guess there's no accounting for (my) taste. I thought right away the K-01 was exciting and beautiful and I pre-ordered it in black (I'm not cool enought to get away with white or yellow). And I'm sure as shootin' no hipster.

I still like my camera. I still use it more than any other camera I have. I have a LOT of cameras - many more than I list here.

I still think it looks like a camera and takes great photos and good-enough-for-me video. I still have no trouble holding it and no trouble seeing the LCD and I don't miss the viewfinder at all. The only issue it has is inability to focus in low contrast, dim interiors. I Quick Shift focus when that happens - no biggie.

I notice Benjikan lists one in his sig and RonHendricks1966 has a mobbed show right now of athletic images taken with his two K-01's. So I guess it isn't as bad as so many people think.

But whatever.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2013 at 10:28 AM.
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Oh whatever. I guess there's no accounting for (my) taste. I thought right away the K-01 was exciting and beautiful and I pre-ordered it in black (I'm not cool enought to get away with white or yellow). And I'm sure as shootin' no hipster.

I still like my camera. I still use it more than any other camera I have. I ahve a LOT of cmaeras - many more than I list here.

I still think it looks like a camera and takes great photos and good-enough-for-me video. I still have no trouble holding it and no trouble seeing the LCD and I don't miss the viewfinder at all. The only issue it has is inability to focus in low contrast, dim interiors. I Quick Shift focus when that happens - no biggie.

I notice Benjikan lists one in his sig and RonHendricks1966 has a mobbed show right now of athletic images taken with his two K-01's. So I guess it isn't as bad as so many people think.

But whatever.
Wow ... stop the press dude ... what the efff ... !?

I never said the camera is not exciting or that I don't like it ... as a matter of fact I've always been a supporter for the K-01 and in case you don't know it yet, I own one. A white one as a matter of fact ... guess that makes me cool!?
I carry it with me always.

Having a few laughs here and there doesn't mean I don't like the camera or I think less of it.
Makes me smile and relaxes people around as well ... "Wanna see my hobbit's house!?"

And here is the proof:

02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow ... stop the press dude ... what the efff ... !?
Sorry. This all started almost exactly a year ago.
02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry. This all started almost exactly a year ago.
Is all good
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Is all good
Gotta say, that's the coolest OVF I';ve ever seen - and I thought so the 1st time you showed it, too.
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Gotta say, that's the coolest OVF I';ve ever seen - and I thought so the 1st time you showed it, too.
Thanks!