Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
byebye k20d....hello k5iis

2 months ago while in Fiji with about 300 photos on my memory card, my k20d decided to delete everything.
I was devastated to say the least. I reckon I had taken some pretty decent shots.
On my return I take it it to my local car Kennedy store to get a quote for repair....it turns out that it needs a whole new circuit board and will cost me $420!!!!!!
So I have bitten the bullet and purchased a k5iis and should have it in 5 days.....can't wait!!!
While I have been waiting I have been ebaying and picking up some M and K lenses.
So I am wondering if you guys have used these old lenses with this wonderful sounding new k5iis????????
Regards,

Patiently waiting.

02-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,825
QuoteOriginally posted by cadart Quote
2 months ago while in Fiji with about 300 photos on my memory card, my k20d decided to delete everything.
I was devastated to say the least. I reckon I had taken some pretty decent shots.
On my return I take it it to my local car Kennedy store to get a quote for repair....it turns out that it needs a whole new circuit board and will cost me $420!!!!!!
So I have bitten the bullet and purchased a k5iis and should have it in 5 days.....can't wait!!!
While I have been waiting I have been ebaying and picking up some M and K lenses.
So I am wondering if you guys have used these old lenses with this wonderful sounding new k5iis????????
Regards,

Patiently waiting.
Sorry to hear about the K20, but the good news is that the K-5 will feel like a much more modern body in just about all areas. If you want to really take advantage of the s in the K-5 IIs, you'll want to arm yourself with some fast, sharp primes. Normally I'd recommend FA limiteds, but another lens that I think would work very well would be the M/K 50mm F1.4. You'll get the best results around F2.8 I'd say.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,177
Did you manage to rescue the photos? (Try Recuva)
02-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,677
I'd be more worried about losing my photos than the camera. A camera is easily replaced, images are irreplaceable. I managed to delete all my Paris photos while trying to save them to an external drive. I was not able to get them back using Recuva. I contacted a data recovery specialist and he was able to retrieve every single file. Well worth the $125 he charged me.

If you try a rescue on the card using Recuva or some other software, make sure you move the tab to write protect the card. (That was his advice to me.)

02-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 27
You should probably not use that memory card. First try to recover the deletet photos. There's some programs that will help you with this, use google and search.
02-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,401
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Did you manage to rescue the photos? (Try Recuva)
I would second the use of Recuva
02-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
Original Poster
The guy at cr kennedy tried to recover them for me but there was only a handfull of thumbnails which was really disappointing.
Lesson learnt......back up files to laptop etc each day !!!!!
02-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
Original Poster
Anyway.........the lenses I have so far to use with the k5iis are........
DA limited 40mm
Takumar f1.4 50mm
Takumar f3.5 28mm
Smc f2.5 130mm
Set of m42 haminex extension tubes and m42 2Xconverter.

On my wish list is DA limited 15mm and a DA 60-250mm.
We are going to Borneo in July where I plan to go NUTS with my clicking finger.

02-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,677
QuoteOriginally posted by cadart Quote
The guy at cr kennedy tried to recover them for me but there was only a handfull of thumbnails which was really disappointing.
Do you still have the thumbnails? They may be all you need.

When the data recovery specialist was working on my card, all he could find were .tif thumbnails. I told him I don't shoot tiffs, they had to be DNG. When we viewed the tiffs, there were thumbnails alright, they looked terrible when stretched across the computer screen. Then I noticed the files were about 20MB each, so they were obviously full resolution images. He changed a .tif to .DNG, and suddenly I had a proper raw file.
02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Do you still have the thumbnails? They may be all you need.

When the data recovery specialist was working on my card, all he could find were .tif thumbnails. I told him I don't shoot tiffs, they had to be DNG. When we viewed the tiffs, there were thumbnails alright, they looked terrible when stretched across the computer screen. Then I noticed the files were about 20MB each, so they were obviously full resolution images. He changed a .tif to .DNG, and suddenly I had a proper raw file.
No they were thumbnails only......and only about 20 of them out of about 300 pics I had
02-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 58
Original Poster
I have my k5iis now and it is wonderfull.....so much better than the k20d.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k5iis, lenses, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K5IIs sample? pinholecam Pentax News and Rumors 349 12-20-2012 12:00 PM
K5IIs and PF ? regor Pentax K-5 37 12-05-2012 02:10 PM
K5iis detail RobG Pentax K-5 5 11-18-2012 06:45 PM
First impressions K5IIs David&karen Pentax K-5 14 11-10-2012 12:10 PM
Byebye... Pentaxke Pentax DSLR Discussion 48 08-21-2008 12:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top