Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Some K20D Vs K10D ISO noise tests (100 to 6400)

新玩具...........第一手........開箱文 - 笨仔樂園 - Pentax 討論區 - DCHome.net 數碼天地論壇 輕銌臚@蚍すX相機網站 - Powered by Discuz!

The K20D looks better, despite it has nearly 50% more pixels than the K10D. I do think the ISO 800 of the K20D is still usable which is yet slightly better than the ISO 400 of the K10D.

But if I have to compare the K20D noise performance with my Canon 5D, which is renowned for low noise high ISO performance with good image details retained in the DSLR field, I think the ISO 800 images of the K20D is just like something which my 5D would produce at ISO 1600. Beyond that, I won't use at higher speed unless it is just a rescuer very occasionally.

Besides, putting aside of the ISO noise comparison in the two series of test shots, I can see a serious old problem - obvious underexposure, nonetheless.

The new K20D user reported that his new toy has improved Auto White Balance when compared with his K10D, though.

02-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it seems like the focus point was wondering during the K20D's tests, its definetly not consistent.

that, and the K20D's crops are way more zoomed in that K10D.

i call bias,
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How can anyone consider this an objective test when the photographer obviously has not compensated for the light background and underexposed all his images.
And thanks for the endorsement of your Canon 5D...
02-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How can anyone consider this an objective test when the photographer obviously has not compensated for the light background and underexposed all his images.
The true value of the test is all test shots have been made in the same testing environment so that we can compare all those results for the K20D from ISO 100 up to 6400 and the K10D from ISO 100 up to 1600.

Undoubtedly, whether you agree or not, it can be easily seen that the K20D has better performance here!

02-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Yup, The renowned 5D is as usual the superior unit.

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The true value of the test is all test shots have been made in the same testing environment so that we can compare all those results for the K20D from ISO 100 up to 6400 and the K10D from ISO 100 up to 1600.

Undoubtedly, whether you agree or not, it can be easily seen that the K20D has better performance here!
It does look better but what does this really show? Underexposed shots with any camera will show more noise and that's a fact.

God baited again... I have to stop posting to his threads.
02-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Any excuse to give props to Canon..

In case the mods have not thought about this - You can block his entire IP range thus preventing him from signing up with a new account and spamming the forums with more junk like this - Sure, you'll lose the other 1 person that MIGHT have the same IP block but, well worth it IMO.. Block him already!!

Also block anon proxy.
02-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Any excuse to give props to Canon..

In case the mods have not thought about this - You can block his entire IP range thus preventing him from signing up with a new account and spamming the forums with more junk like this - Sure, you'll lose the other 1 person that MIGHT have the same IP block but, well worth it IMO.. Block him already!!

Also block anon proxy.
Can someone fill me in...
02-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Its common practice to slap RH when ever he post something, sometimes he deserves it, and sometimes he doesnt. Personally I dont attack unless he deserves it, and this time I dont see what he did wrong. Most people though prefers to attack whenever they see him no matter what. I guess its a knee-jerk reaction.

02-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

know one ever said that Rice could take a decent picture so the underexposure is most likely just user error

Other than that he didn't say anything really bad about the new camera.
For that mater it looked like a favorable test to me.

Rice, is there any way that we can talk you into shooting the comparison against your canon in manual, and dialing in the exposure for a fair test
Otherwise you just know that it'll be a flame fest
02-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
know one ever said that Rice could take a decent picture so the underexposure is most likely just user error

Other than that he didn't say anything really bad about the new camera.
For that mater it looked like a favorable test to me.
I agree. IN fact this post is a happy relief now that the "ooh noooo, bad DR, very bad DR"posts pop up...
Keep up the good work Rice......
02-25-2008, 11:24 AM   #11

Not a very good test indeed... Different WB, underexposed pics... But still, in 100-400 I'd say the pictures look the same. 100-400 is the range I use, I rarely go higher. So well, all that I can say, noise not ganna be an issue for me when I'll get K20
02-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Of course, let us compare a higher resolution APS-C sensor with a lower resolution FF one. Good going, Rice.
02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Knowing he is a slighty biased, i actually find his information good. It's very doubtful you can find a totally unbiased photographer so it's good to see what someone from the other end wants to say sometimes.
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
新玩具...........第一手........開箱文 - 笨仔樂園 - Pentax 討論區 - DCHome.net 數碼天地論壇 *輕銌臚@*蚍すX相機網站 - Powered by Discuz!

The K20D looks better, despite it has nearly 50% more pixels than the K10D. I do think the ISO 800 of the K20D is still usable which is yet slightly better than the ISO 400 of the K10D.

But if I have to compare the K20D noise performance with my Canon 5D, which is renowned for low noise high ISO performance with good image details retained in the DSLR field, I think the ISO 800 images of the K20D is just like something which my 5D would produce at ISO 1600. Beyond that, I won't use at higher speed unless it is just a rescuer very occasionally.

Besides, putting aside of the ISO noise comparison in the two series of test shots, I can see a serious old problem - obvious underexposure, nonetheless.

The new K20D user reported that his new toy has improved Auto White Balance when compared with his K10D, though.
Michael, try a scene like that on your 5D. It will underexpose too. If you are photographing a completely white scene you need to use exposure compensation...

And the underexposure writes off this samples for comparison. If you compare a crappy picture on a K20 to a good one on a 5D the result is obvious. (Not to say that you have one of the second type)

That guy doesn't know what he's doing. He put the two flash heads almost touching the sides of the diffuser, that is useless.
02-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Somebody call me when that guy figures out how to get proper exposure in a light box.