Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #16

Original Poster
Mark,
I've seen reviews that K10D has soft jpegs, but I shoot only RAW so really don't care about jpeg's.

In your last sentense, do you reference to soft jpegs or ?
>> I am happy with my decision with Pentax but this is one area that even a 5+ year old camera from Canon out performs it.

Do you still have your Rebel? Do you think you can do few tests and measure AF speed with Rebel+Tamron 28-75 and K10D with ?? in diferent indoor light?

I've seen alot of comments that K10D slow but are there any measures on actual difference ?

How about 400 ISO noise.
I was shooting in badly lighted musem recently so had to use ISO 400 and most of shots are useles. Noise is very clearly visible at 100% crop.

02-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I own the 300D and the K10D

I also own and use the 20D, 30D, 40D, and the 5D. I own all that Canon equipment because I got tired of waiting for Pentax to get a DSLR on the market. In 2004 I bought the Canon 300D and learned to use it. While I could have switched to the Pentax cameras when the *ist line came out, I wasn't impressed. I was buying lots of Canon glass and ..... well, you get the picture.
With that preface out of the way, my take on the K10D compared to the 300D is: what's to be compared? Both cameras have their good points. The 300Ds good point is that it was affordable for the time and the pixel pitch makes for some really great photos. Paired with my 28-135 IS lens, it's a great walk around combo and I still use it. Here's one at ISO 400 and 1/8s

(click the photo for a larger view)
The 300D is a nice camera, with no decent metering other than the matrix type, which works really well. But, it's an old camera by technological standards just five years after it was first introduced. The 40D is light years ahead of even the 30D. The metering is almost perfect and very flexible. I like my 40D; what I don't like about it is the misfocuses I get (similar to the Mk3) because the cross type focus points are too robust and "see" stuff in the background that cause the focus to jump off the subject. But, it's fast and I've learned to work around its quirks.

When I switched from a Mamiya Sekor SLR in the late 70's, it was to use the Pentax line. My Mamiya Sekor 500DTL had the usual meter breakdown so I decided to switch brands as Mamiya got out of the SLR line and concentrated on MF. When the K10D was announced i waited for a whole year before I bought it. I own and use the Canon 5D and I like the K10D just as well, but for a different reason. The colors are spectacular. And, I can mount all sorts of old lenses on it with SR and focus confirmation. It's a spectacular camera. If Pentax makes a FF camera I'll buy it with no qualms. I don't find low light photos with it to be problem, and use it with the expectation that I would need a "fast" lens to get a "fast" focus in low light. I use mainly m42 and PK-A manual focus lenses. The K10D has a wonderful focus trap ability that I use in low light to great advantage. Anyhow, the K10D does fine at ISO1600, here's an example at f/3.5 in my dark office.

and... one at 1/6s at ISO800

the point of my long treatise is that it's just not a comparison that makes any sense....to me. The cameras are very different with my preference being the K10D (over the 300D) just for the updated technology alone, much less the superb image quality and lens backward compatibiluty. Sometimes I like it better than any Canon I own.

HTH,
Mary in Florida, USA
02-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Well in my pre-digital days, I was strictly a Pentax shooter. Then much like the fellow above me, got tired of waiting for a Pentax digital camera, and went with a Canon 300D. It was the first 1000 dollar DSLR on the market, and I bought it. I didn't like a few of the features of the camera, and upgraded after a year or so to a Canon 20D which I still have. I really haven't seen a need to upgrade the Canon 20D to anything newer. Very little difference between the 20D and the 30D. And to be honest, the 40D doesn't really do anything for me either. I might upgrade to the next model, but that depends on many factors.

I also have a K10D which I bought for my father, another Pentax shooter, but I quickly inherited it when his health declined a little.

Yes, the autofocus is much better on the Canon then on the Pentax. You can't really compare them really. Canon beats Pentax hands down on this. Don't let other people who will tell you that Pentax AF is good enough. It really isn't once you compare it to the competition. With that said, when it does lock (low light being a problem with Pentax currently), it is very accurate. Canon I feel is just as accurate, but is very fast.

On the flip side of the coin, Pentax has the manual focusing part down path. Someone else mentioned this above and I felt it was an excellent point. If you grew up pre-autofocus and you use Pentax lenses, their focusing throw is longer. This is part of the equation with fast autofocus. A longer throw means slower AF, but much better manual focusing. I simply hate manually focusing my short throw Canon lenses. You can tell they are designed to zip along fast when autofocusing. Pentax lenses have this nice old time feeling and I personally know this is a big reason why I feel Pentax lenses are superior to Canons some of the times. I don’t own any limiteds right now, as I much prefere zoom lenses to primes, however, I would buy them in a jiffy as I truly do miss that wonderful depth of field scale that is missing in most other AF lenses. That is almost one reason to just go out and buy them. I was never a lover of eliminating that depth of field scale. I know why they did it (fast AF needs a short focus throw, which makes DofF scales impossible to design and use).

Pentax lenses are really superb. Their colour rendition, bokeh, sharpness, etc, are top notch. Not to mention, they tend to be less expensive then the competitions. I simply prefer my pentax glass over my Canons. It is true that I only have one L optic, and non with IS, but then, I have a hard time justifying the expense that this would incur as I do photography as a hobby. With Pentax, I get awesome glass at an affordable price + built in IS. Truly spectacular. For example, I much prefer my Pentax 16-45 f4 over my Canon 17-40 f4 L. The pentax costs 1/2 less money to boot.

You are going to find pros and cons to each system. This is a major reason why I still have my Canon system along with the newer Pentax system. They sort of complement each other at times.

Good luck on what ever you decide. You can't go far wrong with either system. You just have to tabulate what you feel is important to you and go with it.
02-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Inactive Account

just for the record, Chako

I'm not a "fellow."

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Well in my pre-digital days, I was strictly a Pentax shooter. Then much like the fellow above me, got tired of waiting for a Pentax digital camera,

02-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I read the whole thread, squirreled your comment away, and responded without looking at who posted it.
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks everyone who responded.

K10D has more features and not directly comparable to 300d, that understood,but ...

What I was trying to get from this post is, if I replace 300d (with Tamron 28-75/f2.8) with K10D and get say DA* 50-135/f2.8 lens:
1. Will autofocus (on central point) be at least as fast as 300d ?
2. Will K10D have less noise then 300d on ISO up to say 800 ?
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #22
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrews Quote
Thanks everyone who responded.

K10D has more features and not directly comparable to 300d, that understood,but ...

What I was trying to get from this post is, if I replace 300d (with Tamron 28-75/f2.8) with K10D and get say DA* 50-135/f2.8 lens:
1. Will autofocus (on central point) be at least as fast as 300d ?
2. Will K10D have less noise then 300d on ISO up to say 800 ?
Andrew: sorry for the late response. I don't still own the 300D. I sold it to feed my LBA for Pentax gear ! I never did any formal testing it was just a feeling that I got when using them indoors.

Just another thought. Your suggested replacement above will undoubtedly be better than the 300d with the Tamron. I think it isn't a fair comparison. I have also found a lot is said of AF speed. I do appreciate the info of the difference in the long vs. short throw of the different brands and how that plays into speed. I am just an amatuer, ok maybe more of a hack. But, I haven't found in my non-professional use that the AF speed has been my limiting factor. I take a lot of portraits of my kids (3 and 5 yo). Yeah I miss a few due to AF but I still capture plenty. I could see if this was film it would really be critical. I just think you have to look at the entire system whether Pentax or any other and not just focus(pun intended) on AF Speed. In other words, no system is perfect. I love the Pentax lenses especially my 77mm and the built in SR of the K10D. I suspect many more shots are lost due to blur from camera shake than from issues with AF speed. So, as other more experienced posters have said the Canon is faster, but there are other aspects that are as important. Hope that helps..

mark