Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

So made the upgrade to K10D... Should I Keep my K100d

Ok :P So before someone tells me to do a search.. I've search and read everything but it's so piecemeal that I would like a clearer opinion on it.

Seeing that you only get around 300~$ on ebay nowadays is it worth it just to keep my k100d because of this difference in low light?

From people who own both.

Is it really that much of a difference? I have a Sigma 530 Super for extreme situations. But lets say i do bump an image up to 1600. Are those images useful for anything else other than myspace postings?

I'm looking to get into small discount wedding photography just to fuel my purchasing of equipment and the k100d probably will be used more for a second photographer (my cousin) to use.

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated!

02-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

if your going to get into wedding photography, you most definetly are going to need more than 1 body... so keep it.
02-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But is the lowlight that much of a difference? Anyone have any side by side differences?
If i were not to keep the k100d i would change it into a tamron 28 75
02-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
But is the lowlight that much of a difference? Anyone have any side by side differences?
If i were not to keep the k100d i would change it into a tamron 28 75
The low light capability is a HUGE difference, I have both. I use ISO 1600 on the K100D without worries, but I'm very worried when I need 800 or higher on the K10, the noise is just ugly.

Besides that, the K100 is smaller and lighter, and can run 1500-2000 shots on Lithium AAs. You might need that someday!

02-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
A few years ago I was camped in a very remote region of Northwestern Ontario. A black bear wandered into my camp site. I grabbed my trusty K1000 and got off one shot as the bear was approaching when I realized that I was end of the roll of film. While I fumbled about to get it reloaded in the excitement of the moment I ended up getting one shot of the bear's behind as he wandered into the woods. I would have paid a lot to have had the redundancy of a second camera that day. In the future my K100D will be joining the K1000 on my canoe trips. My second rule which is a bit dated - never leave the camera about with just one shot left. Keep the K100D as a backup/second lens in action - someday a bear may wander into your wedding shoots. Ken.
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #6

I own the K10D and an istDS and my justification for keeping the istDS (and I believe it would be valid in your situation too) is:

* A spare camera is a good thing.
* A spare camera that's considerably lighter than the K10D is a good thing
* A spare camera that takes the same memory cards but uses AA batteries rather than rechargables is definitely a good thing.
* The money you get for selling the camera isn't worth it in view of the above

One final thing : I was shooting a Christmas party for work last year when somebody sort of drunkenly reached for my camera and wanted to use it. Now, I was actually fine with that and I gave them the K10D (on the grounds of it being tougher, more alcohol-proof, and also easier to use) while I continued to shoot on the backup. That is : it's good to have a backup you're comfortable with.
02-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok :P So before someone tells me to do a search.. I've search and read everything but it's so piecemeal that I would like a clearer opinion on it.

Seeing that you only get around 300~$ on ebay nowadays is it worth it just to keep my k100d because of this difference in low light?

Is it really that much of a difference? I have a Sigma 530 Super for extreme situations. But lets say i do bump an image up to 1600. Are those images useful for anything else other than myspace postings?

I'm looking to get into small discount wedding photography just to fuel my purchasing of equipment and the k100d probably will be used more for a second photographer (my cousin) to use.

as others have commented for anyone doing weddings a back up body is an essential piece of kit.

If it were not for that, I probably would not suggest keeping it. When I got my L10D, I kept my *istD for several reasons.

- it had high ISO capabilities
- the metering is better with K mount lenses than the K10
- I could use TTL flash, and flash photography with K mount lenses
- the controls were virtually identical to the K10D
- the selling price, relitive to the purchase price made it un attractive to sell

Of these points are a couple of essential things, specifically use of the K mount lenses with good accurate metering, High ISO and TTL flahs capable.

there are enough differences in capabilities to compliment my K10D, and I still use the *istD because of these capabilities. It is a good second body because it can do different things. That is one thing I always stress, in your case, I don;t think it does enough different. What you might want to do, and it is a tough call, is trade backwards for and *ist DS. give up shake reduction, but get TTL flash.
02-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bbpa103 Quote
A few years ago I was camped in a very remote region of Northwestern Ontario. A black bear wandered into my camp site. I grabbed my trusty K1000 and got off one shot as the bear was approaching when I realized that I was end of the roll of film. While I fumbled about to get it reloaded in the excitement of the moment I ended up getting one shot of the bear's behind as he wandered into the woods. I would have paid a lot to have had the redundancy of a second camera that day. In the future my K100D will be joining the K1000 on my canoe trips. My second rule which is a bit dated - never leave the camera about with just one shot left. Keep the K100D as a backup/second lens in action - someday a bear may wander into your wedding shoots. Ken.
bears can kill people

i'm surprised you didnt back away

02-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Forum Member

I Owe both and The money I would get for K100D would'nt worth to let go a spare body and Better High ISO shootings capabilities it allows!

Also..K100D remain my walkaround body as it is lighter and more convenient for candid or snapshots! K100D is a great camera and makes beautifull enlargments!

The only reason I would let it go is to get a K200D or that it dies!

When I leave for shooting nature landscapes and wild I bring both, one body ready for wide angle shots and one body ready for telephoto! This way, I avoid to much change of lenses and loosing time and opportunities!

Last edited by mireille; 02-29-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar correction
02-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nope, I would keep only one DSLR body per system at at time!

When I got my DS, I sold my D.

When I got my K100D, I sold my DS.

When I got my 5D, I tried to sell my K100D but I withdrawn my decision as I just would have no Pentax DSLR body for use with my Pentax system.

Digital gadgets are worth no collection and keeper IMHO. You can always get better alternatives later on, even for used gear, at around the same price you sold your gear. So, my answer is clear and it's not worth a second thought.

Anyway, if I have to choose between the K100 and the K10, I would still choose the K100. You can try both for some more time and decided later on.

02-28-2008, 07:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
When I got my DS, I sold my D.

When I got my K100D, I sold my DS.

When I got my 5D, I tried to sell my K100D but I withdrawn my decision as I just would have no Pentax DSLR body for use with my Pentax system.

Digital gadgets are worth no collection and keeper IMHO. You can always get better alternatives later on, even for used gear, at around the same price you sold your gear. So, my answer is clear and it's not worth a second thought.

Anyway, if I have to choose between the K100 and the K10, I would still choose the K100. You can try both for some more time and decided later on.
I think your situation is different as most people don't have multiple systems.

I do, however, agree that electronics in general are not "keepers" since the newer models generally outperform older models, BUT, if the older camera does something different, which is of value, there is logic behind keeping it as a back up body (on the assumption you only have one system). The question I posed earlier is the most important, since the user has already bought the K10D, does the K100D do enough different to justify keeping it. for me, the only positive is 3200 ISO. My own view is this is not enough, and I recommended that he trade for an *istD or DS since he would also get TTL flash capability and much better use with older lenses, plus 3200 ISO, The only negatives would be image processing time, and no shake reduction.

Go back many years, as film cameras were bercoming dependant on batteries for more than metering. I kept the KX for one reason and one reason only. With the exception of the internal light meter, the camera was totally mechnanical and would function with no batteries at all. It did something unique, that none of my other cameras could do, and was worth keeping jst for that reason.
02-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #12

When I bought my K10D I was going to sell my DS but I didn't. It's always handy to have a second body in case of emergencies.
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Keep it, I upgraded to K10D last year, but still kept my DS, Is good to have a backup, and also useful for quick switching lens wise. Whenever i go out for a shoot I always have both bodies.

Also, as the DS is quite small (like the K100D) I have it at work rather than the K10D, more discreet.
02-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #14

I the K10D and the DS, they both come with to me sports events... so keep it.
the other reason for keeping it is that anything happens to the other camera you still have one to use.
02-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It's interesting that most people who say keep have a DS and kept it. Maybe it is just the camera was well enough used it didn't owe the owner anything, or they could no longer get anything near what it cost like me with the *istD, But it is also interesting that the DS, like my *istD can do TTL flash, and therefore has some additional benefits?

How many of you DSers use flash witrh manual lenses? Was that an important part of the keep decision?