Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #1

K10D & Lens Back from Pentax Repair

Hi Gang:

Ok, I sent my K10D body with the chip on the baseplate (see my post on 1/24/08) along my 21mm DA lens (significant backfocus problem) on February 12th by Fedex 2nd Day Air. Arrived in Westminster, CO on February 14th. Got them both back today, February 25th (UPS Ground). Pretty decent turnaround time. The camera body has a new baseplate (and updated firmware) and the backfocus problem with the lens appears to have been corrected. Here's the statement on the repair form regarding what was done:

"Replacement or adjustment of electronic autofocus circuit including focus motor and encoder, CCD focus device and laser alignment of mirrors.

Repair or replace damaged covers. Adjust for proper fit and component operation.

Update the prescribed firmware to the latest version."

Repair warranty is for one year - pretty good considering that I think the industry average is more like 6 months. There's a dust spot on the sensor that wasn't there before but hey, you can't have everything. Anyway that's easily dealt with.

According to PhotoME, this body was manufactured on 12/14/2005. That's pretty early; maybe it's a mistake. I only mention this because the infamous crack & chip on the K10D baseplate seems to be confined to the earliest bodies. But who knows? Anyway, all this was covered by the original warranties for the body and lens.

Richard

02-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

That's pretty much what my K10D's repair statement said (it wasn't focusing properly with SDM lenses). They fixed it up good, AND they cleaned the gunk out from the viewfinder. I checked out the fix, and boxed it back up and sent it to a guy in Maine.....

so kudos to Pentax Service!
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

what version firmware is it?
02-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
what version firmware is it?
Version 1.30. That's the most recent update and I suspect the last one for the K10D.

Richard

03-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #5

What about other lenses?

Thanks for the informative post. I have the same backfocus issue with my K10D and 21mm Limited. Pentax service replied by email that I should send the camera and lens for service; they also said that the camera would focus correctly with other lenses.

When I made the correction using Debug, fixing the backfocus on the 21mm Limited made the other lenses frontfocus. How do your other lenses perform? Did you notice any change?
03-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yosemite Quote
Thanks for the informative post. I have the same backfocus issue with my K10D and 21mm Limited. Pentax service replied by email that I should send the camera and lens for service; they also said that the camera would focus correctly with other lenses.

When I made the correction using Debug, fixing the backfocus on the 21mm Limited made the other lenses frontfocus. How do your other lenses perform? Did you notice any change?
I don't really know because my other lens, the 70mm DA Limited, is on my other K10D body. These two lenses do it for me and the two bodies eliminate the need to change lenses. But before I sent in the one body and the 21mm DA Limited, I tested my 70mm on that body and it autofocused perfectly.

As for the Debug mode on the K10D, I've never used it. I prefer that Pentax fix defects. Being without the camera for a short while was no problem for me because I have other digital cameras besides the second K10D body. I also now have a one year repair warranty for the body that I sent in. Anyway, I could not have have replaced the baseplate with the infamous chip myself.

Richard