Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D B&W RAW capture?

Help I have mislaid my manual.

Is it possible to set the K10D to capture black and white RAW images? or indeed black and white JPEGs?

Or....can images only be converted post capture using computer software?

Thanks in advance.....

Simon.

02-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why would you want to do this? Having control over the B&W conversion process after you've taken the shot is one of the great advantages of digital. That, and not having to lug around a whole bunch of colour filters.
02-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agreeded why is this feature desireable. Just turn down the saturation in any RAW converter. I know RAW Developer and Lightroom have dedicated functions for BW and Sepia like duotone pictures. You can even do it on groups of photos!
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Just turn down the saturation in any RAW converter.
That would give sub optimal results. First, with channel mixer in Photoshop or B&W tool in Lightroom is the way to go. Second, good B&W requires pure black and pure white details so levels/curves are a must to achieve that. Default desaturation without any additional correction results in a flat and boring result, what I call G&G photograph (Gray & Gray). Third, increasing local contrast helps a lot (USM 10-20%, 50px in Photoshop, or 25-50% "Clarity" control in Lightoom).

Result of applying the steps outlined above:

02-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gostwick Quote
Help I have mislaid my manual.

Is it possible to set the K10D to capture black and white RAW images? or indeed black and white JPEGs?

Or....can images only be converted post capture using computer software?

Thanks in advance.....

Simon.
Back to the OP...it isn't possible to set a direct B&W capture in either RAW or JPEG. There is an in-camera B&W JPEG processing option (in Menu>Playback>Digital Filters, IIRC). But, as everyone above has pointed out, it is usually better (= more control over the final appearance) to convert your color JPEGs to B&W in pp software. It is necessary to do so when converting RAW files.
02-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is a way to do some kind of B&W, ending up with a B&W image from RAW with a bit more detail, but it involves setting some very confusing parameters for demosaicing on dcraw (command line), and I don't remember where I saw that - plus you get some weird artifacts.

Anyone seen that? Browsed pages and pages of search and couldn't find it.

Last edited by ricardobeat; 02-25-2008 at 10:51 PM.
02-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Muchly thanks for the info everybody.

I'm using Elements 6 and so will try to get conversant with the best methodology using that software.

(I'll give it a go)

Simon.

gostwick on Flickr.
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Enjoy the software learning curve, Simon! It's just part and parcel of this brave new world of digital photography, where the computer is both a replacement for the darkroom and an extension of the camera.