Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 191
DA* Lens and Full Frame

I have searched in this forum on the topic of usability of DA/DA* lenses on a Full Frame Pentax and it appears that they will not be useful as huge vignetting occurs. Considering the confirmed rumor that Pentax is working on a Full Frame DSLR does it make sense to buy any DA/DA* lenses anymore? Should we be only looking for FA lenses in order to be able to use them in future Full Frame body? Thanks.

02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,795
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I have searched in this forum on the topic of usability of DA/DA* lenses on a Full Frame Pentax and it appears that they will not be useful as huge vignetting occurs.
Apparently you didn't search properly, many DA and DA* lenses are quite capable of covering full frame. Vignetting isn't exactly the end of the world, it is easily correctable in post (to an extent) lenses like the DA40mm f/2.8, DA70mm f/2.4, DA35mm f/2.4,DA50mm f/1.8, DA*55mm f/1.4, DA 100mm f/2.8 MACRO, DA*200mm f/2.8, DA*300mm f/4. are all quite capable of being used on a FX format sensor.
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 191
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
apparently you didn't search properly, many DA and DA* lenses are quite capable of covering full frame EG: DA40mm f/2.8, DA70mm f/2.4, DA35mm f/2.4,DA50mm f/1.8, DA*55mm f/1.4, DA 100mm f/2.8 MACRO, DA*200mm f/2.8, DA*300mm f/4.
Right. I should have more specific. While there are few lenses that work well many lenses do not. I am wondering about DA* 16-50 f/2.8, DA* 50-135 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4.
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,795
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
I am wondering about DA* 16-50 f/2.8, DA* 50-135 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4
Well that is different, many prime lenses in the pentax lens line up are derived from prime lenses that were originally designed to cover FX format - the DA series zoom lenses are often designed to be more compact and make use of the smaller image circle required to cover APS-C in order to keep the size of the lenses down. Allegedly Pentax is considering using Tamron and Tokina to develop a new line of FX zoom lenses for the upcoming FX format camera, they will probably be manufactured by Tamron and/or Tokina and designed by Pentax.

02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
In the lens section of the forum -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Right. I should have more specific. While there are few lenses that work well many lenses do not. I am wondering about DA* 16-50 f/2.8, DA* 50-135 f/2.8 and DA* 60-250 f/4.
Those lenses (especially the f/2.8 models) are very good lenses for right now. There's really no replacement for them if you need higher quality AF zooms on APS-C, which is why I have 2 of them. Other than that, I have all FF compatible lenses, except at the wide end (DA15 and DA10-17 FE).
02-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 191
Original Poster
I see. I have two DA* lenses already that work great. I have couple of Sigma lenses. Before buying a lens I wanted to know if they can be useful in future. It appears that I need to wait.
02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
If this is all about a Pentax full frame digital camera, you'll have a long wait if it even materializes at all.

02-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
Let me give a shameless plug for B&H...

Click on their main B&H link/page, then - under the photography category click on lenses, then - SLR lenses, then - the Pentax (otherwise known as Pentax PK, but not on this site) option; which should show there are some ninety plus current new lens options available, then - under lens format click on the full frame option - which will then eventually show some fifty plus existing options.

Or take this one step link...
SLR Lenses| B&H Photo Video
02-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 191
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Let me give a shameless plug for B&H...

Click on their main B&H link/page, then - under the photography category click on lenses, then - SLR lenses, then - the Pentax (otherwise known as Pentax PK, but not on this site) option; which should show there are some ninety plus current new lens options available, then - under lens format click on the full frame option - which will then eventually show some fifty plus existing options.

Or take this one step link...
SLR Lenses| B&H Photo Video
Thanks for the link Medium FormatPro. I was looking at Pentax DA* 60-250 f/4 and that comes closer to this zoom is Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 in terms of focal length but still falls short. I not only like the reviews of 60-250 but its zoom as well when compared to 70-200 it offers more range both at zoom in and zoom out. As the price is high and if I get it, I wanted to make sure that I can use it for an extended period of time.
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 667
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Thanks for the link Medium FormatPro. I was looking at Pentax DA* 60-250 f/4 and that comes closer to this zoom is Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 in terms of focal length but still falls short. I not only like the reviews of 60-250 but its zoom as well when compared to 70-200 it offers more range both at zoom in and zoom out. As the price is high and if I get it, I wanted to make sure that I can use it for an extended period of time.
The 60-250 is an amazing, amazing lens. I will also be going FF if/when it is ever available on Pentax, but I will not likely sell the DA* zooms. My ideal system would be to have two cameras - FF and APS-C so I take take advantage of the best of both formats. Also, a lot of FF cameras allow you to go into a crop mode - I know the D800 does this. So instead of having a 32mp FF image you have a 16mp crop and you can still use your crop lenses. We don't know if a Pentax FF will offer that "crop" mode, but if you are likely going to keep your crop camera after purchasing FF then this wouldnot be a wasted purchase.
02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,230
I think the DA *55, 60-250, 200 and 300 are full frame compatible (60-250 has some vignetting, but not bad). 16-50 and 50-135 would need cropping to allow them to be used.
02-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,075
It will be interesting to see how these DA lenses perform on FF. I'm confident... It's one thing to not vignette but it's another thing to survive the pixel peeping especially in the corners.

FF really isn't an issue for me though since I have neither the money nor the skill level to blame the K-5 for any bad photos. Of course if I had the money I would buy it...
04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
LXNights's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 102
They might come out with a new lens line upon delivery of FF, lenses that can be used on both APS-C and FF. Maybe the new camera can use both formats.
04-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,832
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
All the Sigma 70-200's are FF lenses. Any 'DG' Sigma lens is FF.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, da* lens, dslr, frame, lenses, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread falconeye Pentax Lens Articles 499 09-16-2017 11:35 AM
Lens compression effects on APS-C and full frame tyronfall Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 56 05-14-2012 08:17 AM
Full frame Lens vs DA lens(APS) bobmaxja Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-17-2010 12:03 PM
Full Frame lens vs DA & crop factor comparison... JayR Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 03-02-2010 09:15 PM
DA vs FA Limited and the question of full frame digital 8540tomg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 11-29-2008 10:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top