Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are K10D's still good? As good as ever. I bought a K5 a year and a half ago but the K10D still gets a lot of use. Having two camera bodies is a big benefit at times. I actually prefer the ergonomics of the K10D over the K5. As excanonfd mentioned, the low ISO results of the K10D are exceptional.

02-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I bought my K10 about 4 and a half years ago, and it now is a back-up to my 10-month old K-5.
If high ISO isn't an issue, I recommend the K10 100%.
02-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #18

I had K10D, then I sold it to get K20D, sold that to get K-7 and sold that to get K-5. Then I bought K10D as backup. Why? Because K10D has "special" image quality at ISO 100. It seems to resolve fine details very well, most likely because it has quite weak AA-filter. Also colors are very natural. I still use K10D time to time even though K-5 is better camera in every way. It is old technology yes, but can produce some stunning images. Also it can be found at bargain prices (100-200 even with battery grip). Speaking about old technology, I got recently cheap old Canon 5D. It can also produce special images, even it's older than K10D (especially with K-mount lenses ). Sometimes it's good to come 5 years behind, then you can save quite a bit of money
02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I had some spare room so brought my K-r up with me for the moment, will see what I do with that before splashing out.
Might pop into SRSMicrosystems and see if they can have a quick look at the focus before I start playing....
Noticed CliftonCameras do a 0% on the K30 and K5II so might see if I can save a few extra pennies for a deposit and go for one of them.
If I do that I will keep the K-r as a back up or shift it on.
But will keep the K10 in mind if I decided to keep the K-r as the back home shooter, can always pack my flashgun for low light.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers Steve

02-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
i used a K10D for couples years, now im regret selling it, cause the feel of the grip is different then others, now i use K-7 and sometimes i use K-5 , but until now im still miss my K10d having two scroll rad and WR feature make me comfort to shoot in a minus wheather, i know that K-R also have better sensor esspecially in high ISO but when it comes with magnesium grip, it is not equal to compare with others..
03-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #21

I'm pretty happy with my k10d and would probably get a K20d soon and leave the 10 as a second body. I rarely print larger than A4 and don't really need the low light capability but as far as ahndling nothing beats the K10d with the battery grip mounted.
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #22

i picked up a k10 with a grip to back up my k20 and it is a great feeling to have two rock solid rigs in my bag at all times. i just checked the shutter count on the k10 and it was only 2200!! i really love being able to turn off DFS too.
03-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Pentaxian

You could even consider a K200D, which is newer (but presently prices are about equal between K10D and K200D).

The K200D is not an advanced K100D, but a (only slightly) stripped down K10D.
It still has the weather sealing, the top LCD display, uses the same sensor as the K10D, and you can get the BG3 grip quite cheap (4 AAs).

The differences are:
Penta mirror instead of penta prism
4 AA batteries instead of the propr. accu
The top LDC display is not illuminated
Only 1 wheel (but "on the fly" switching between function without altering your grip)
I think one port is missing (could be the cable out for external flash?, I am not sure)

03-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

As I type this I am in the middle of preparing my K10D for sale. Recently I upgraded to a K-5 IIs, but I am pretty sure I will miss my K10D. It's been a great camera, and still takes great photos! If only the low light capabilities were as good and the K-5 IIs I don't know if I could justify the upgrade.

And the battery grip if a MUST if you do get a K10D. I have never taken mine off (only to charge batteries), and it has ruined me. Now I have to get one for the K-5 IIs!!