Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Still using K100d Super - does that count? It is very similar to the K100, except had a few modifications. It is a real good performer, still. It is my only DSLR and I bought it refurbished from online dealer One Call in spring of 2009. It has worked flawlessly and has about 20K actuations on it. It is very rare that 6 MP has not been enough MP to work with, and those times are when I (attempt to) do sports and don't have time to frame as I'd want, so I frame with the athlete with a lot of space and crop later. 6 MP does have an advantage in that it does not fill a memory card so quickly or take up as much computer space. The AF is pretty slow, but still okay for most things that don't move or change the depth very quickly. For me, the K100dS's limitations are low light high ISO performance and focus speed and I am seriously considering upgrading to K30 for those reasons alone. I chose the Super version because of the in-camera capability to use the SDM lenses, and this does work well with my DA 17-70. The K100d Super seems to be, and has been, a very good camera. When I do my part right, it certainly does its part well. I would expect the same for the K100 non-Super as well. I've not printed much, but the general literature says 6 MP should be able to give you an excellent 11X14 inch print. I've had a friend state that he printed 16X20 inch from his 6 MP camera and said it was good but wouldn't go any larger than that. I'm glad you rediscovered the K100. It is a nice machine and the CCD sensor delivers a nice image. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your informative post.

02-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use an *istD for some work. This is even though I have upgraded to K10, K7, and finally K5 on about a 3 year rate of change, as technology moves forward.

I still like the *istD for the flash on manual lenses. As long as I don't crop in too tight it still can be blown up to 11x 17
02-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #18

I am still using K100Ds and I will do it as long as it will work (no signs that it will stop...)

And why wouldn`t I use it anymore? Is he making worse pictures then 6-7 years ago, when I bought it?
Nope, the pictures are better and better
02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep... My wife has one. We use it for copy work & applications where we know won't have to aggressively crop. It's a terrific camera. We'll probably use it 'til it clicks it's last click.

02-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #20

Yes! Its memory access is very slow, but overall a very nice camera! Also happy enough with higher iso and with AF!
02-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had mine since the fall of 2007, and will probably keep using it until it self-destructs. Apart from a few sticky buttons it's still as capable as it was the day I bought it, but I like to think I've improved a little bit since then.
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stepmac Quote
I bought my K100D around 7 years ago. At the time it was the first Pentax with Shake Reduction and the camera guy told me that 6 megapixel was all "anyone will ever need". It cost just under 500 which I thought was fair. The ads said I could use "Any Pentax lens ever made", but I couldn't figure out how to do it so, in frustration, I put the camera aside and a few years later sprung for a Canon T1i, which I liked and still like.

Then I discovered this site, bought a K-01 and discovered how to attach my old Pentax/Takumar lenses and I've picked up my K100D again, and viola! I've learned how to screw in my ancient lenses and they are very clear. So I'm happy.

I seldom read about people still using their K100D's. Anyone out there doing so? If so, how's it working for you?
Hmmm, my question is why you care about what others do? If it was about a purchase that would be another story, but you already have the camera(s), have the lens(es), and know how to use them together. Use whichever of your cameras you enjoy )

02-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Hmmm, my question is why you care about what others do? If it was about a purchase that would be another story, but you already have the camera(s), have the lens(es), and know how to use them together. Use whichever of your cameras you enjoy )
I was wondering if I should put my K100D aside and consentrate on using my Canon T1i. So I was curious if others were using the old Pentax. I have a collection of lenses for both cameras, my Pentax lenses go way back to the 60's and early 70's and I had not been able to figure out how to use them on the K100D, so I put the entire collection away.

I bought the K-01 because it wasn't expensive and I figured I'd finally be able to use my old Pentax prime lenses (and a few zooms), then I figured out how to mount them on the K100D too.
02-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
Inactive Account

I have and still use my K110D. Until last month, it was my one and only digital camera. I just bought a K-01 as a cheap backup body!
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm on my 4th one atm
Auction price was too low to miss, needed a backup if I send in my K-5 for sticking mirror motor.
The last guy put a split screen in it with no shim so it manual focus is short by miles. AF is slightly back focus.
I suppose I need to make a shim and use the hack for AF adjustment.
I had forgotten how slow it is in RAW and really miss the K-5 dynamic range.
Nice size body for the DA21ltd
Pete
02-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
Aux

I bought k30 to replace k100 super which was bought in September of 2007. It made so many shots (more then 100k) that it's mechanics are dying, auto focus is not working anymore, sometimes mirror does not move properly and white balance is funny too. Still love it! Well use it as a backup camera until it's last breath.
02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still have a K100D. To be completely accurate, my son has my K100D at the moment. When I got my K20D, I sent him my K100D + the 18-55 kit lens. He has used it for a couple of years and really likes it, but last December, he got a blue K30, and I noticed he has not returned my K100D. I'll be visiting him in June (he is in WA), so I'll pick it up then.
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #28

The K100D was a hand-me-down and my first DSLR. I received it about ~4 years ago. I lost a bit of interest in shooting (mostly because of the poor kit lens) but things are looking up since I bought my M42 adapter! Shooting with an SMC 50mm f/1.4 is incredibly fun, and I don't think I'll be putting down this camera any time soon.
05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using a K100D as my "serious" digital camera until just recently. I got one of the closeout-priced K-01 bodies, so that is muscling in on the K100D's space.

The K100D's 6MP resolution doesn't really bother me. That's a lot of detail. If I shoot 35mm film (in my ZX-5n, for example) and have "high resolution" scans made, they come back as 6MP images. So... Six of one and half-dozen of the other, eh? As long as I'm not trying to have a 30x20" wall hanging made from them, it's usually plenty of definition.

The things that irk me a bit about the K100D are: The small and dim viewfinder, compared with my 35mm cameras. The limited dynamic range. The size and weight of the camera. I also keep a piece of black electrical tape over the battery door, ever since it dumped out some expensive batteries and I didn't notice until too late.

The K-01 is a step up in many respects. However, in bright sunlight having no viewfinder can be a problem. Also... I got a split-prism and microprism focusing screen installed in the K100D. I'm still getting the hang of focusing the K-01 accurately. Focus peaking is not all that some have made it out to be.
05-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still using my K100D and find it great when using it with a ND Filter. I can cover the viewfinder with the cover that came with camera and I find the top LCD screen much easier to read especially when I have the camera set up for ground level shots without moving the camera like I have to do to read the back screen on my KR.
I also find it to be a reliable backup to the KR which has failed on me in the past