Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Pentax K2000 GPS question?

Hello...

I own a Pentax K2000, does this camera have the capability to have GPS (Pentax O-GPS1 Digital camera GPS unit)?... or is there a setting on the camera that I'm missing to enable GPS/Geotagging? I'm planning trip out of the country and would like to have my photos geotagged... Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

02-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No. The Pentax GPS is only compatible with the K-r or newer.

To GeoTag with older cameras you need to use a GPS logger and then sync the data with the EXIF using a third party program.

For example...
Amazon.com: AGL3080: Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger (Windows and Mac Image Software included): GPS & Navigation
02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Post-processing GPS

Any GPS that will keep track logs will do, but the little screen-less loggers are best for log and battery capacity. Just remember to turn them on before you start shooting. You can attach most of them to the strap of your camera. Also make sure that your camera date, time and timezone are set correctly from a reliable source.
For software, there are many free and shareware products that can match your photos with the appropriate track points. I have been using GPSPhotoLinker for Mac but there are many others, including some of the more mainstream photo viewers, or if you are happy working with Perl scripts you can use Phil Hervey's EXIFTool on many platforms. Many of the other products will require this to be installed anyway.