Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #1

Odd white dots in post processed K-5 IIs files?

Anyone else had this issue? I used Topaz Adjust to process the file through Lightroom 4. Yes, it's heavily processed, but I have never, ever experienced this with any other camera I've used at this level of processing.
Photo looks okay in the original, but after the process, all these little off-white speckles showed up everywhere. This is just one example... I have a few shots where it's the same deal. Could this be an effect of the lack of anti-aliasing filter? Confused...
Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo       
02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Original Poster
Neglected to mention it only shows up in shadow areas...
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it looks like those are just part of the image. Were they there prior to processing?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
No, definitely not. That's why I posted the unprocessed file as well to show the difference. But I should have posted crops of the unprocessed file, sorry. Now I'm out and don't have access to the files currently. I will do so later though. But be assured, they were not there on the original. It's very strange.

02-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

looks like some artifact caused by sharpening?
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
That's what I thought, sure. It makes sense. The only thing is that of all the files I've processed with Topaz Adjust (I've used that program with a Canon 5d mk ii, Olympus E-M5, Panasonic GX-1, Nikon D600, Olympus E-PL2), I've never, not in one file, witnessed this type of artifact. I'm only assuming that it's due to the lack of AA filter, and that's fine if I have to process my shots a little differently to ensure it doesn't happen I suppose, but I guess I'm just hoping it's not an issue with my specific camera.
The shots I took today were all very low ISO as well. Also, I've cranked the processing on previous files (with other cameras) with Topaz Adjust WAY further than I did today with the K-5 IIs files, and nothing like this has ever occurred.
02-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't found any untoward artifacts when pp'ing my IIs shots. But I have found that only minimal sharpening is necessary. In fact, I have almost decided not to sharpen at all in post since the SOOC frames are so good in this respect.

Jack
02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I wonder if the PP software has been updated for the K5-IIs. Have you to try PDCU (Pentax Camera Digital Camera Utility) v. 4.40 which is the latest upate and "Correspond to K-5II and K-5IIs".

My 5 cents.....

02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm... it could be some kind of odd conflict or strange interaction between Topaz Adjust and the file, but it goes through Lightroom first, just like all my other raw files. The photo above was actually not 'sharpened' very much. But the detail slider in Topaz Adjust was set to I think 2.00, which is a fair amount, and of course is a form of sharpening.
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah I have Lightroom 4.3, which is compatible. And without being able to use the Topaz Adjust plugin in the other software, there's not really a way for me to try that. I will have to study it further. When I get home I'll try not using Adjust at all and do as much as I can to duplicate the issue just with Lightroom and see what happens. But it sounds like I won't be able to, by what everyone seems to be saying. The bummer is that I really like Topaz Adjust, and use it all the time. Mostly I use B&W Effects, which for me is the best B&W conversion gets.
If I had a K-5 or K-5 II I could do a comparison, but unfortunately don't have the money for that right now. Perhaps in the future.
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
By the way, thanks for responding, guys. I appreciate you taking the time.
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You could try using the weakest setting on noise reduction in the topaz options and it might get rid of that for you. I've not come across anything remotely like this however when I use topaz on my K5IIs.
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
By the way, thanks for responding, guys. I appreciate you taking the time.
I use Topaz Adjust all the time, and love it. It brings out texture and grit in the shadows really well, and if you have details and sharpening set high, it will open up shadows and create a few artifacts for you in the process. (This is apart from the noise it can create for you). I have a few shots of the interior of a cathedral and Adjust created great orange speckles under the seats on either side of the aisle.

Your speckles are part of the deteriorating brick and the grit in the pavement. Adjust did a good job for you without unacceptable noise. If you turn down the detail slider, you might see them fade a bit more into the shadows, which I guess is what you want. But I have photos of really old brickwork that look exactly like the brickwork in your photo. My rule of thumb is: if you have to pixel peep at 100% or more to see it, it ain't there.

In short, I see nothing wrong with the photo, and I believe your K5IIs is doing its job of delivering very sharp photos.
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
Well this is getting more disconcerting, I must say. Thank you both for your comments.
Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with the deteriorating brick and grit in the pavement. I wish it did. As mentioned earlier, I have other photos taken from today that exhibit exactly the same behavior in the shadows, where I can guarantee the speckles did not exist in the real world nor in the file itself before using Topaz. The speckles exist on multiple types of objects, and are always the same.
*sigh*
Do you all think there's a chance my camera is defective somehow? It seems like a really odd thing to have as a defect. I suppose anything's possible. But if it's not there on the original file, I'm not really sure what to think. I will investigate further and add to the post with more evidence later.

Thanks again for your comments guys.
02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The canonical method for sussing this out would be to try another post-processing software program. If the speckles don't show up, then you know the culprit.