Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
It doesn't matter. If you shot Canon, you would get comments about why you are shooting a 60D instead of a 7D. Got a 7D? Should have gotten a 5D.

In the automotive world we call these people "magazine racers".
I've heard those "discussion" among the Canikon crowd and haven't heard quite the superior disdain that I hear when they say "Oh, a Pentax" in a dismissive tone.

The few genuine pros I've had the chance to talk to since owing a dSLR have mostly been descent guys that were not hung up on the name on their camera.

02-19-2013, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #17

Yeap-invite them on a nice photoshot in the midle of a pouring rain))
Then ask them how "in body stabilization" works in canikon world works.....ups it doesn't))
Then go online,find lovely site from a company named b&h and take a loooong look at the prices... All they have is a full frame...but I guess in few monts we'll have something like that as well... Oh yes ask them whats the name of the canikon medium format model)
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Pictures and Weather. Show one and take photos when the other is poor.

I was at NASA a year or so ago and got some grief from someone, then it started to rain - a real downpour - and everyone except one pro and I stayed out there shooting. He, very nicely, suggested that with my APS-C I ought to run for cover. I explained that mine was WR and he asked me a few questions. Nice guy. I got shots that those poor Canikon users hiding under the bleachers couldn't get from where they were huddled together to protect their precious cameras.

i love the rain!!!!
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bullitt_60 Quote
It doesn't matter. If you shot Canon, you would get comments about why you are shooting a 60D instead of a 7D. Got a 7D? Should have gotten a 5D.

In the automotive world we call these people "magazine racers".
very true!

02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you have a WR lens, a small spray bottle of water works well.
Love this one.

Or just show them your pictures...

If they really are gearheads and fanboys, nothing will convince them. But maybe it's not needed. Enjoy your equipment, your lenses (which, incidentally, always make my Nikon friends pale with envy) and take good pictures.
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dario79 Quote
Yeap-invite them on a nice photoshot in the midle of a pouring rain))
Then ask them how "in body stabilization" works in canikon world works.....ups it doesn't))
Then go online,find lovely site from a company named b&h and take a loooong look at the prices... All they have is a full frame...but I guess in few monts we'll have something like that as well... Oh yes ask them whats the name of the canikon medium format model)
I just have to roll my eyes at those responses. They only prove there are Pentax "fanboys" ( much smaller numbers of course) as Nikon and Canon.
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The few genuine pros I've had the chance to talk to since owing a dSLR have mostly been descent guys that were not hung up on the name on their camera.
Pretty common finding in any field that requires some kind of gear. Real pros know gear is gear. Practice, experience and discipline make results.

02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Love this one.

Or just show them your pictures...

If they really are gearheads and fanboys, nothing will convince them. But maybe it's not needed. Enjoy your equipment, your lenses (which, incidentally, always make my Nikon friends pale with envy) and take good pictures.
They wont sway me!!!

I am IN LOVE with this camera lol

Pentax is the best kept secret in the dslr world! hahahahaha
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pretty common finding in any field that requires some kind of gear. Real pros know gear is gear. Practice, experience and discipline make results.

I agree wholeheartedly with this!
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The best way to tolerate fanboys is to find fanboys of your brand lol
Meh, don't let it get to you. In fact, buy a yellow K-01 with a pink DA 35mm, that'll show 'em!
02-19-2013, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Just shrug and say "Yes, those other cameras are pretty decent too, many people do like them and I can understand why, given their mass market appeal." Make it sound like a reference to Walmart, Target, Best Buy or some other common big box store. "I mean, to get Pentax, you really have to know what you want, and not everyone does."

And just leave it hanging there.
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The best way to tolerate fanboys is to find fanboys of your brand lol
Meh, don't let it get to you. In fact, buy a yellow K-01 with a pink DA 35mm, that'll show 'em!

omg yes!!!!! an excuse to buy one!!!!!
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #28

I have never encountered canikon fanboys beeing smug about my Pentax. I recently became friends with a canon shooter and he thinks my camera is cool, he likes the feel of it, the quality of the pictures it takes and the features it has.
And i like his Canon because he has some second hand L glass on it, it's very nice.. and we're happy taking pictures together.

If I ever met someone being a fan boy and putting my gear down because of brand i would just ask them if they are working for the canikon (or sony, panasonic or what ever they have) corporation? If not, why would you put in all that effort promoting them? My camera is a tool that works great and many others do too, they all have their ups and down sides... but the bottom line is, if it does what you bought it to do it's great.

My camera has been whit me through a lot and has never disappointed me, it did coast as much as i thought was reasonable, it has never broken down on me, and i don't think it will, it's well made, it has abilities to take a wider variety of pictures that i can make and the pictures look great... i also have all the lenses i need and they are super.

Other camera makers does cameras this good too and i don't care, give me a nikon and i'll shoot that, i like SHOOTING not brands...

And if they get technical just point out that Pentaxes are built well, handle exceptionally and take good pictures (refer to how good they score the the DXOmark tests, DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings ) K-5II Beating all the Canons? yes...

Why would you rave about a canikon after someone said all that? They don't seem like such a smart choise anymore. If they wanna talk glass... how many lenses are available and working even on the newest pentaxes now again? hehe

I'm always more happy just being happy shooting instead of imagining i'm in a commercial for a camera brand that's not even paying me for it.
02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Just shrug and say "Yes, those other cameras are pretty decent too, many people do like them and I can understand why, given their mass market appeal." Make it sound like a reference to Walmart, Target, Best Buy or some other common big box store. "I mean, to get Pentax, you really have to know what you want, and not everyone does."

And just leave it hanging there.

also true lol
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the same come back I use on Harley riders when they snub me for riding a Japanese bike. I use to own a (insert camera make, motorcycle, etc.), I've been moving up ever since.